Everyone trying 1B

RZNJ

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

Urias has never proven that he's anything more than a slightly above average replacement level player. This season he's been below league average going by his OPS+. So yes, they'll bench an MLB regular for a "kid". It'll happen.

Urias is absolutely a player that you bench in favor of the top prospect in the game according to multiple publications. So yes, Urias can sit. And I think he will. 

Urias' glove is not special enough that he deserves to keep starting if his offensive production is below average.

Urias has been mildly disappointing. His walk rate this year is almost half what it was last year. He is going to have to pick it up in a hurry to keep an every day job, and probably not for the Orioles even in the best case scenario. I wonder if there will be any market for him this offseason. 

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I will be shocked if Mountcastle starts losing playing time.  

No way that Mountcastle or Hays lose playing.  Hyde won't even cut Odor's playing.  I'm sure that Elias plan is for Hays and Mountcastle to play a lot the rest of the year, then trade them at peak value.  The plan is not for Hays to be a 4th OF and Mountcastle a platoon 1B and get basically nothing for them.

Do we know if there are any performance clauses in the Odor contract, say for games played? Given his impact on team chemistry in Hyde's view maybe Hyde is trying to get him to a threshold before moving to the bench. Grasping at straws.

In addition to Henderson playing a good SS defensively, we also have (hopefully) Mateo, Ortiz and just drafted Holliday. Having Henderson capable of backup 1B is a bonus. The need for Gunnar at 3rd in 2023 is greater than SS IMHO. Vavra-Urias share 2B and backup IF and COF gives alot of flexibility. I expect 1 of Hays-Santander to be moved in the offseason. The OF and 2B regulars rotate thru DH to rest and get ABs. Nevin and 1 of Hays-Santander gone; Henderson and Stowers added

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

First, Santander was taking groudballs at 1B.   Now I see Vavra is and Henderson is doing the same at Norfolk.   Wasn't there one more?

I suppose this is mostly in anticipation of Nevin being replaced but is it also a wakeup call to Mountcastle about getting his time cut?

Not sure …are they down on RM?

2 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Urias has never proven that he's anything more than a slightly above average replacement level player. This season he's been below league average going by his OPS+. So yes, they'll bench an MLB regular for a "kid". It'll happen.

Urias is absolutely a player that you bench in favor of the top prospect in the game according to multiple publications. So yes, Urias can sit. And I think he will. 

Urias' glove is not special enough that he deserves to keep starting if his offensive production is below average.

If Henderson plays 3rd then Urias is at 2nd. He isn’t sitting. His OPS+ is 98 and his glove is good. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If Henderson plays 3rd then Urias is at 2nd. He isn’t sitting. His OPS+ is 98 and his glove is good. 

Vavra is the better player at 2B. Urias might get some playing time at 2B once Gunnar is up, but Vavra is the better option and makes our lineup better. Urias' glove isn't so much better than Vavra's at 2B. You're overrating Urias in general, and ignoring his performance over the past month in particular.

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Vavra is the better player at 2B. Urias might get some playing time at 2B once Gunnar is up, but Vavra is the better option and makes our lineup better. Urias' glove isn't so much better than Vavra's at 2B. You're overrating Urias in general, and ignoring his performance over the past month in particular.

If Vavra has a great glove at 2nd why isn’t he playing over Odor?

You look at a SSS with Vavra and promote Urias struggling in the last month. 

46 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Urias has been mildly disappointing. His walk rate this year is almost half what it was last year. He is going to have to pick it up in a hurry to keep an every day job, and probably not for the Orioles even in the best case scenario. I wonder if there will be any market for him this offseason. 

Urias really just had one really hot streak/month this season that tricked some posters on this board into thinking he's some sort of indispensable player. I like Urias as a depth piece with some potential to be a slightly above average offensive 2B/3B, but we're going to be a much better team with Urias and Odor on the bench (or gone, in Odor's case), Nevin in the minors where he belongs, and Vavra, Gunnar, and Stowers (along with Adley of course) grinding out at bats, seeing way more pitches, and getting on base at a much higher rate.

58 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I'm not playing Urias over Vavra or Westburg or Mateo.  So yeah, he very well could be sitting if two of those three are on the roster.

On what planet is Vavra better? Because he’s had his first 40 ABs in MLB be somewhat positive? Urias has been performing at this level since last year. 

Urias really just had one really hot streak/month this season that tricked some posters on this board into thinking he's some sort of indispensable player. I like Urias as a depth piece with some potential to be a slightly above average offensive 2B/3B, but we're going to be a much better team with Urias and Odor on the bench (or gone, in Odor's case), Nevin in the minors where he belongs, and Vavra, Gunnar, and Stowers (along with Adley of course) grinding out at bats, seeing way more pitches, and getting on base at a much higher rate.

Urias has a .745 OPS over 592 career ABs. Vavra has .734 over 41 ABs. Hold your horses, because this Urias disrespect is silly. 

Edited by waroriole
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Urias has a .745 OPS over 592 career ABs. Vavra has .734 over 41 ABs. Hold your horses, because this Urias disrespect is silly. 

To be fair, Vavra has an .878 career minor league OPS including a .410 OBP.  I don't know if Vavra is or will end up being a better player, but I would guess he gets on base more than Urias at least.  Urias is now sitting at a career .326 OBP.