Perspective: August 18, 2021

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They might do that.  Vavra has come up and played well and isn’t as talented as those guys.  I think the risk of them struggling is real..of course, that’s why Stowers should have been up 2-3 months ago and Gunnar should have been up last month.

In August, the BP ERA is 4.10.  That’s about a run higher than the 2022 BP ERA for the team.  Goes back to whether or not they should have dealt Lopez.  The offense is struggling, going back to whether they should have dealt Mancini.

Whether you agree with the moves or not..whether or not you think they are doing the right thing by keeping those guys in the minors.  What can’t be disagreed with is that Elias is valuing (on a team he was quoted as saying will make the playoffs) the future more than winning this year.  His arrogance that his long term plan is going to definitely work and produce many playoff appearances is obvious.  

Im glad he’s confident in his plan and it seems to be working but he hasn’t won anything yet.  Don’t take for granted these chances because you never know when they will come.

Great points. I was totally expecting Stowers and Henderson to be promoted after Mancini was traded. Instead Elias acquired... Brett Phillips???

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sorta.  He played well defensively.  But in mid-September he was hitting .259/.287/.406, good for a .692 OPS in his first 179 PAs.  Then he had three straight two-hit games, but even at that finished at .739.  It's not like they called up 1966 Frank Robinson or something.

Interesting. I guess my swiss cheese brain chose to overrate his offense relative to his defense. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But for you to understand that, that also means that you believe in the guys on the roster that are playing ahead of them.

Are you saying you believe in them?

Believe in who... Nevin and Phillips? No, absolutely not. They add nothing to this team.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course.  I have said it a lot but I don’t think last years team was a 52 win team. It played out that way but play that season again and I think they could win 60-65 games.

This team is the opposite.  That’s fine, it happens that way sometimes but just because you didn’t expect this to happen doesn’t mean you don’t do what you can to take advantage of it. 

Overall, the Os have a very good record ai be the deadline and maybe it would be the same or worse if they brought up the young guys and didn’t play the vets. Who knows.  

What I do know is we have guys in the minors that are definitely more talented than the guys in the majors and those in the minors are clearly ready to come up here. 

I agree. This opportunity is here now and they should feel the need to take advantage of it. There's way too many variables to wait and think this same chance will be available next season.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, production isn’t why they aren’t bringing these guys up.  It’s all about the 45 day thing and trying to look long term for every move.

Well, I am not ready to put Elias on a pike, or a pedestal, but I am fairly certain, that if you were in charge, the payroll over the last two years would be a couple hundred million higher and the talent pool about 12-15 years lighter in service time.  

Looking short term has it's place.  2012 was a pretty good year to look short term.  2022....not as much.

Regardless of where the O's finish...in the playoffs, out of the playoffs, first round exit, whatever.  They are better positioned as an organization than at any point over the last several decades.  Low payroll, rising talent, talent to trade, money to spend.

It's fun to talk about who to play or who to sign.  It's entertaining and it makes for fun debate.  I have quite enjoyed the season and am excited to see moves in the coming off season.  

And it's a reminder that taking the time to follow a plan with discipline, and ignoring the press and self appointed know it alls who proclaim opinions as fact and disagreement as examples of stupidity....is gratifying in and of itself.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, production isn’t why they aren’t bringing these guys up.  It’s all about the 45 day thing and trying to look long term for every move.

After years of Duquette, who I actually think did a good job given his circumstances, it's nice to have a GM whose every move isn't mortgaging the future for today.

But Stowers and Henderson should be up in September.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Lopez has allowed 10 hits and three runs (4.50 ERA) in six innings with the Twins.  Two saves, two blown.

Yep.  Doesn’t mean he would have done that here but as I have said, I think a little more regression in his ERA was in order.

That said, if he was here, would others be struggling?  Are they mentally the same, knowing there is a liter more pressure on them to perform.

We don’t know any of this.  We can’t just look at the idea that he let up 2 runs in 1 game and that jumped up his numbers and just assume he would be doing the same here.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Well, I am not ready to put Elias on a pike, or a pedestal, but I am fairly certain, that if you were in charge, the payroll over the last two years would be a couple hundred million higher and the talent pool about 12-15 years lighter in service time.  

Looking short term has it's place.  2012 was a pretty good year to look short term.  2022....not as much.

Regardless of where the O's finish...in the playoffs, out of the playoffs, first round exit, whatever.  They are better positioned as an organization than at any point over the last several decades.  Low payroll, rising talent, talent to trade, money to spend.

It's fun to talk about who to play or who to sign.  It's entertaining and it makes for fun debate.  I have quite enjoyed the season and am excited to see moves in the coming off season.  

And it's a reminder that taking the time to follow a plan with discipline, and ignoring the press and self appointed know it alls who proclaim opinions as fact and disagreement as examples of stupidity....is gratifying in and of itself.

Your first statement is such bs, especially the payroll part, that I didn’t even the rest of the post.  When you start off with lies, there’s no need to give respect to the rest of the post.

• Haha 1