Players' View of Service Clock Manipulation

Bahama O's Fan

The one thing I would like to see is the players in the minors answering what the Orioles are telling them in terms of what they need to do in order to get promoted.  For example, a guy like Henderson is going to be a lot more understanding about not being promoted if he was told going into AAA that they wanted his K-rate below a certain level and hit lefties at a certain rate and he isn't doing it. 

No way for me to know, but I almost get the impression that with Hall they brought him up in part to just show him he isn't ready yet.  Perhaps they were getting some pushback from him.  I have no inside knowledge but his command and control clearly were lacking in the minors.   

37 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

How many players a year does this impact? At most it would be about 1 per team and realistically much less than that number. There are 780 players on MLB rosters. 15 players would be 2%. 

Not even that many, probably.  But the players affected tend to be the cream of the crop, so percentages don’t really tell the story.

Edited by Frobby
Typo

On 8/26/2022 at 12:07 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

I know Kris Bryant came out against it and actually had a grievance about it.  I definitely like the new draft pick compensation rules. 

Well the new rule has kept Gunnar Henderson in the minors so whether it's late in the year or early in the season, teams will find a way to use the rules to their favor, not the players.

• Upvote 1