Marlins Open to Trading from Pitching Surplus

StillanOfan

I say we hold onto Hall. We need all the pitching we can get.

Currently we only have the following in our Top 30; You will see from this list that we should keep DL Hall; not a lot of upper level, healthy talent putting up quality numbers. Also, without the trades at the deadline, we would be really thin

#2 Grayson Rodriguez - AAA, Ready for his shot

#6 DL Hall - MLB, Figuring It Out

#11 Seth Johnson - Rehabbing - AAA end of next year?

#14 Chayce McDermot - Too many BBs at AA

#15 Cade Povich - Doing better than his numbers show at AA, but ERA over 5

#20 Drew Rom - Doing well at AAA, Could be an option next year at some point

#24 Carter Baumler - Threw 11.2 solid IP at Delmarva and was shutdown

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I say we hold onto Hall. We need all the pitching we can get.

Currently we only have the following in our Top 30; You will see from this list that we should keep DL Hall; not a lot of upper level, healthy talent putting up quality numbers. Also, without the trades at the deadline, we would be really thin

#2 Grayson Rodriguez - AAA, Ready for his shot

#6 DL Hall - MLB, Figuring It Out

#11 Seth Johnson - Rehabbing - AAA end of next year?

#14 Chayce McDermot - Too many BBs at AA

#15 Cade Povich - Doing better than his numbers show at AA, but ERA over 5

#20 Drew Rom - Doing well at AAA, Could be an option next year at some point

#24 Carter Baumler - Threw 11.2 solid IP at Delmarva and was shutdown

We are the ideal trade partner.  We help solve each other's problems.

First off, thanks for posting on our board Maverick.  

This is just my opinions, but I do think that the going forward strategy may very well revolve around a core of Adley Rutschman, Gunnar Henderson and Colton Cowser.  Cowser is likely untouchable at this time as he moved up 3 levels this year and was absolutely raking at AA Bowie before this last promotion to AAA Norfolk.

I do think our two teams match up well with trading from surplus assets. Hope we can work something out this winter which helps both clubs.  I am however leery of trading for a pitcher with only two years of control (Pablo Lopez) and no experience in the AL East plus the inherent injury risk to pitchers, without a larger deal in place.  I would look at something closer to Mullins plus another Orioles minor league position player like a Neustrom or Adam Hall (maybe a Connor Norby) for a package of Pablo Lopez, Dax Fulton (AA) and Jake Eder (injury risk) or Jacob Miller.

Your thoughts?

6 minutes ago, StillanOfan said:

Second this - welcome, and thanks for the good conversation.

If you're inclined, curious your take on the years you got from Sulser and Scott.    I know Scott banked some Saves.    Sulser had a high ERA and I saw got demoted to AAA recently, kind of a bitter pill in September.

I believe Elias probably values Cowser far above Mullins.    Cowser is a handpicked blue chip, Mullins is a (very) pleasant surprise overachiever he inherited from the last GM.

It isn't perfect, but for conjectures the website BaseballTradeValues.com shows the work of some folks who have done the legwork guessing the Median Surplus Value of every player.    Their thought is Surplus Value balance is what GM's seek negotiating their deals.

BTV's guesses today on.

Some Marlins Arms: Rogers 40, Pablo 35, Meyer 25, Luzardo 20, Garrett 15

Some Orioles Bats: Mullins 40, Cowser 20, Westburg 15, Mountcastle 15

Obviously the BTV algorithm fairly puts some weight on Mullins' MLB success that Cowser lacks.

Mullins and Mountcastle for Rogers and Garrett they guess would be fair.

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Second this - welcome, and thanks for the good conversation.

If you're inclined, curious your take on the years you got from Sulser and Scott.    I know Scott banked some Saves.    Sulser had a high ERA and I saw got demoted to AAA recently, kind of a bitter pill in September.

I believe Elias probably values Cowser far above Mullins.    Cowser is a handpicked blue chip, Mullins is a (very) pleasant surprise overachiever he inherited from the last GM.

It isn't perfect, but for conjectures the website BaseballTradeValues.com shows the work of some folks who have done the legwork guessing the Median Surplus Value of every player.    Their thought is Surplus Value balance is what GM's seek negotiating their deals.

BTV's guesses today on.

Some Marlins Arms: Rogers 40, Pablo 35, Meyer 25, Luzardo 20, Garrett 15

Some Orioles Bats: Mullins 40, Cowser 20, Westburg 15, Mountcastle 15

Obviously the BTV algorithm fairly puts some weight on Mullins' MLB success that Cowser lacks.

Mullins and Mountcastle for Rogers and Garrett they guess would be fair.

Thank you for the warm welcome. As for Cole and Tanner.... Both were somewhat disappointing this year. I guess Sulser was poor but Tanner Scott was given every opportunity to win the closer role and was abysmal. Even the few he was successful in saving was an adventure when he was called in. The Bullpen will need to be addressed in the offseason. Bullpen is a weakness but because we are so offensively inept, it gets lost how putrid the pen is. 

52 minutes ago, StillanOfan said:

This is just my opinions, but I do think that the going forward strategy may very well revolve around a core of Adley Rutschman, Gunnar Henderson and Colton Cowser.  Cowser is likely untouchable at this time as he moved up 3 levels this year and was absolutely raking at AA Bowie before this last promotion to AAA Norfolk.

I do think our two teams match up well with trading from surplus assets. Hope we can work something out this winter which helps both clubs.  I am however leery of trading for a pitcher with only two years of control (Pablo Lopez) and no experience in the AL East plus the inherent injury risk to pitchers, without a larger deal in place.  I would look at something closer to Mullins plus another Orioles minor league position player like a Neustrom or Adam Hall (maybe a Connor Norby) for a package of Pablo Lopez, Dax Fulton (AA) and Jake Eder (injury risk) or Jacob Miller.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for the welcome. As far your trade proposal,  Mullins and Norby for Pablo Lopez and Jake Eder or Dax Fulton (one of but not both) could possibly work. The issue is, while I like Norby, he is exclusively a second baseman. The marlins are deficienct at shortstop. Therefore, if you guys gave westburg instead, that would be more enticing. 

Speaking for me personally,  I like big trades. I'm not a one for one, or two for two type of trade guy. I like deals similar to the juan soto deal. Maximize your value by adding more to the pot. Hence, why I said I would go with Chisolm and Lopez and maybe a young pitching arm like Eder for a Cowser, Westburg, and Mateo/urias. You guys get an all star second baseman with years of control left to pair with Gunnar an arm now (Lopez) and for the future (Eder). Meanwhile, we get Mateo or Urias, who is slick defensively, especially Mateo; Cowser, who for the next few years at least, resolves our center field problems; and Westburg, who can hit the ball (something the marlins seem unable to do). 

45 minutes ago, Mavericksouth said:

Thanks for the welcome. As far your trade proposal,  Mullins and Norby for Pablo Lopez and Jake Eder or Dax Fulton (one of but not both) could possibly work. The issue is, while I like Norby, he is exclusively a second baseman. The marlins are deficienct at shortstop. Therefore, if you guys gave westburg instead, that would be more enticing. 

Speaking for me personally,  I like big trades. I'm not a one for one, or two for two type of trade guy. I like deals similar to the juan soto deal. Maximize your value by adding more to the pot. Hence, why I said I would go with Chisolm and Lopez and maybe a young pitching arm like Eder for a Cowser, Westburg, and Mateo/urias. You guys get an all star second baseman with years of control left to pair with Gunnar an arm now (Lopez) and for the future (Eder). Meanwhile, we get Mateo or Urias, who is slick defensively, especially Mateo; Cowser, who for the next few years at least, resolves our center field problems; and Westburg, who can hit the ball (something the marlins seem unable to do). 

Hmmm... Interesting offer. I feel like Mateo and Chisholm are a good swap with Gunnar taking over SS full time. I like Westburg, but he's probably blocked here, so he's a good piece in a deal. Cowser is the hardest for me to move in this one. But if you get Pablo and another young arm, I think I'd consider it. 

12 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Hmmm... Interesting offer. I feel like Mateo and Chisholm are a good swap with Gunnar taking over SS full time. I like Westburg, but he's probably blocked here, so he's a good piece in a deal. Cowser is the hardest for me to move in this one. But if you get Pablo and another young arm, I think I'd consider it. 

That's a deal I believe the marlins could do. For the record, I love Jazz and am opposed to trading him personally, but the marlins front office seem to not like his "flashy" style of play. Hence, they seem willing to move him for the right price. 

If the deal is Jazz, Pablo, and Eder for Cowser, Westburg, and Mateo, do O fans go for that deal? As a Marlins fan, it seems fair. Probably a little  too fair. Our second best pitcher, a young lefty who is a top 10 prospect in our system, and our best everyday player and an all-star. I almost feel like we would be giving up too much in the deal.

• Like 1