I like the way Hyde uses Bautista

Frobby

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Buck had the commercial saying "I like the Win Rule better" than the save rule.  I forget exactly what argument he was trying to make. 

He was obviously trying to say that winning the baseball game was more important than getting a save for one on his relievers.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He was obviously trying to say that winning the baseball game was more important than getting a save for one on his relievers.

In the context, I think he was saying that he thinks following the save rule gives the team the best chance to win. In other words, the "win rule" quote is a justification for following the save rule instead of using a committee or non-closer in save situations. 

21 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Buck had the commercial saying "I like the Win Rule better" than the save rule.  I forget exactly what argument he was trying to make. 

Too bad Buck forgot about this rule during the 2016 wildcard game. I think the odds were against the Orioles winning that game, but well I don't need to remind anyone here what happened. 

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

In the context, I think he was saying that he thinks following the save rule gives the team the best chance to win. In other words, the "win rule" quote is a justification for following the save rule instead of using a committee or non-closer in save situations. 

I'll agree to disagree.   I still think he meant that the ultimate goal was to win the game and getting a save was secondary to that.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shortly after he was hired he had a game in which he didn't use the closer in the expected manner.  That was when he made his famous declaration.

Great soundbite.  Buck is a master at that aspect of managing.

Exactly the context.  I believe it was Buck’s very first game as Orioles manager.  The O’s were sitting on a three-run lead and Mike Gonzalez had pitched 1.2 innings and was an out away from earning a save.  Buck took him out and replaced him with Alfredo Simon, who got the final out.  Buck was asked by a reporter if he thought about leaving in Gonzalez so that he could earn a save.  Buck answered, “I don’t believe in the save rule, I believe in the win rule.”   As in, winning the game is more important than getting someone a save.  Hard to argue with that.   People have taken that remark out of context and thrown it in his face ever since.  But I would put Buck’s bullpen management up there with any manager the Orioles have had.  

The topic of maximizing reliever workload has been on my mind for a while, and I kind of wonder if it wouldn't be more effective for players to pitch more than 1 inning for the majority of their outings, then take 1-2 days off, never allowing the player to pitch back to back days if they have pitched in parts of 2 innings the outing before unless you're really desperate.  in theory they should have around 70-80 games of availability, and be able to cover around 100-140 innings.  The downside to this approach is that you may or may not have your best relievers ready in high leverage late-game situations, so you'd need a collection of 3 or 4 reliable reliavers.  But they would be able to cover a much higher percentage of innings.

This seems like an area where you could give yourself some flexibility with roster management.

Edited by Hallas