2022 AFL Predictions

sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I didn’t feel like making a 2022 thread.

Let me help…

Anyway, I don’t think those 4 make it. Rarely do you see two AAA guys like that.

Either Roberts or Handley will probably go, as the Orioles “usually” send a catcher almost every year. 

Norby seems like a good choice. Coby Mayo could go. Ortiz is an option, or even Cesar Prieto, then maybe someone like Hudson Haskin. 

Pitchers are tough, because the Orioles seem to be imposing an innings limit. Grayson could be a good choice, to see how he does against top players. Maybe Chayce McDermott. Then throw in a lower level guy.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

AFL team is always like throwing darts blindfolded. I think I was 0 for 7 last year. 

I will go with Handley, Haskin, Bencosme, Denoyer, Pinto, Armbruester, Feliz. I will be excited if I get 2 names right. 

I've come to expect that the pitchers sent will be non-prospects just going to fill out the roster.

• Upvote 1

I personally wouldn't send Handley unless we've already decided to protect him. I'd rather he not impress other orgs before the Rule V draft because he's really not a guy I think I want to protect, but he is a guy I want to give another year to see if he can develop the hit tool a little bit.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the O's are going to let anyone not in their organization manage Grayson's innings.

Maybe not, but I don’t think it’s that uncommon for teams to send legit pitching prospects there and let the coaches know how they want their pitcher to be used.   Nobody averages even 5 IP/start there anyway.  Last year nobody pitched more than 28.2 innings (spread over 6 starts).   Most guys were way under that. https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/leader.cgi?type=pitch&id=dea17904

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It would be a little unusual for a guy who’s only played low A to go to the AFL.  But, it’s possible.  

He could go as a “Taxi Squad” player, who only plays Sunday and Wednesday. Think they sent catcher Ramon Rodriguez last year to do the same thing.

Grayson could go and have Orioles coaches there.