Non-Pitching Spending

Bahama O's Fan

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1. Who are the players with failed careers so far that we are relying on?   Mateo, who had 200 career AB's before we got him?  Voth?

2. One or two signings that can be great long term?   Sounds so easy.   Very few turn out that way.

Mateo…most of the pitching staff.

Depends on the signings/trades.  But sure, any route you take can blow up in your face.  That’s obvious.

- Sign Judge to 4/200 contract

- Trade Package for top of rotation SP

CF - Mullins

C - Adley

SS - Gunnar

RF - Judge

DH - Santander

1B - Mountcastle

3B - Urias

LF - Cowser

2B - Westburg/Ortiz/Vavra/Norby (one or some of these would have to be traded)

SP - Trade SP, Grayson, Wells, Bradish, Kremer - Means in June

6 minutes ago, terpoh said:

- Sign Judge to 4/200 contract

- Trade Package for top of rotation SP

CF - Mullins

C - Adley

SS - Gunnar

RF - Judge

DH - Santander

1B - Mountcastle

3B - Urias

LF - Cowser

2B - Westburg/Ortiz/Vavra/Norby (one or some of these would have to be traded)

SP - Trade SP, Grayson, Wells, Bradish, Kremer - Means in June

I like it, if he'd sign it and we'd offer it. Could you imagine our team this season with one big bopper in the middle of the lineup?

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mateo…most of the pitching staff.

Depends on the signings/trades.  But sure, any route you take can blow up in your face.  That’s obvious.

Kremer, Bradish, Wells, GRod, have had failed careers.

That’s 4/5 of a rotation.   Bautista, Pérez, Baker, Vespi, Tate, and Kriehble have had failed careers?

You say failed career before a player has barely started one.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Kremer, Bradish, Wells, GRod, have had failed careers.

That’s 4/5 of a rotation.   Bautista, Pérez, Baker, Vespi, Tate, and Kriehble have had failed careers?

You say failed career before a player has barely started one.

What?  GRod?  Wells?  Wtf are you talking about?  Stop putting words into my mouth.

Watkins and Voth..Kremer hasn’t done much in his pro career.  Most of the pen has been poor or mediocre for most of their careers.

You know exactly who I’m talking about. Stop pretending like this group of pitchers, entering this season, you think would be good or have been good in their careers or whatever.  That’s just a lie.

And btw, I said pro careers.  Minor leagues are part of that.  Some/most/all of these guys weren’t great in the minors or haven’t been good down there in a while.  Put another way..there isn’t a lot in the past history of these guys to make you think they would be producing like this.

Edited by Sports Guy

I don’t think they move Mateo this year.  His bat is still a question mark and his value is worth more to us then trying to trade him.  Now if someone wants to overpay and thinks he is a top 10 shortstop in this league you move him but I just think bat hasn’t been consistent enough to get us enough return.  I do think he is just a shortstop here for 1 more year either way though.  

I think Santander now will stay with the team unless someone pays a big haul.  He is too good of a player and one of the big bats in the lineup.  We need to upgrade the other corner outfield position though.  Hays is a decent player but there hasn’t been much improvement over last three years.  I don’t think they see Stowers as a big upgrade from Hays.   The question is where do you get that upgrade free agency or trade.

If we are going to rest Adley this much (and I'm not saying we shouldn't) then spend some money on a GOOD backup. Not just a defensive/glove wizard, but someone with a bat.  If they are going to start 1/3 of our games then get someone who can hit.  In a game like today when we start two players with OPS .618 or less, that's just really hard to overcome.  Yeah, I know Odor hit a homerun to give us our only run so far, but nevertheless he's a .618 OPS for the year hitter.  One of those you can hide in the lineup, but 2-3 of them is rough.  If none of our other guys in the minors can hit, then sign a quality backup, even if it costs a bit of cash.  

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

It feels like most the year there has been 1or 2 guys hot for a period and rest slumping.  You need more then a guy or two carrying the offense.  

Need more Adley/Gunnar type guys and less Hays/Mountcastle guys.  The good thing is most of the hitters coming up from the minors should have better plate discipline.  With this team, it's the veteran hitters  who are the problem.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What?  GRod?  Wells?  Wtf are you talking about?  Stop putting words into my mouth.

Watkins and Voth..Kremer hasn’t done much in his pro career.  Most of the pen has been poor or mediocre for most of their careers.

You know exactly who I’m talking about. Stop pretending like this group of pitchers, entering this season, you think would be good or have been good in their careers or whatever.  That’s just a lie.

And btw, I said pro careers.  Minor leagues are part of that.  Some/most/all of these guys weren’t great in the minors or haven’t been good down there in a while.  Put another way..there isn’t a lot in the past history of these guys to make you think they would be producing like this.

There you go with the “wtf” stuff.  You said “most of the pitching staff”.  Forget it.