Why is Aguilar on this team?

Chelsea_Phil

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Don't laugh.  You may not have heard the last of Brett Phillips as an Oriole.

Say what you want about Phillips, but at least he brings value as a pinch runner and defensive replacement in the outfield. Aguliar brings nothing but the potential for a home run once in a blue moon.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Say what you want about Phillips, but at least he brings value as a pinch runner and defensive replacement in the outfield. Aguliar brings nothing but the potential for a home run once in a blue moon.

Phillips has 13 walks and 13 K's in AAA.   I actually saw him inside out a pitch into LCF for a double.   I would not be shocked if he stayed on the roster all winter and came to ST.   He made 1.4M this year and is arbitration eligible.  I can't imagine a 400 OPS can get a player a raise.   I wonder if they think he's worth that.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Phillips has 13 walks and 13 K's in AAA.   I actually saw him inside out a pitch into LCF for a double.   I would not be shocked if he stayed on the roster all winter and came to ST.   He made 1.4M this year and is arbitration eligible.  I can't imagine a 400 OPS can get a player a raise.   I wonder if they think he's worth that.

Phillips was DFA'd on Aug 19th. He's not on the 40-man so the Orioles will need to sign him to a minor league contract this offseason to keep him in the organization. I doubt it will take a major league deal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

No way the O's pay Phillips $1.4 mill.  I could see them bringing him back for close to ML minimum, especially if Hays or Mullins is dealt.

On 9/15/2022 at 9:31 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Very good ABs last night. He’s coming around. 

You called it. He absolutely came around today. Who knows, maybe we wouldn't have even won the game today if Mountcastle had not gotten hit in the elbow yesterday.