Bases loaded, down a run, nobody out, 9th inning. Gotta love having Adley up in that situation.

Frobby

That was almost my same thought verbatim (see below) in the game thread prior to that at bat. He's the guy you want there. And doggone it, he delivered. 

8 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Just the man we want up with bases loaded and no outs. Do it, Adley! 

Edited by NashLumber
aded quote
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, that’s a perfect situation for Adley.   Nowhere to put him, and you know you have to throw him a strike fo get him to swing.  It’s almost unfair.  It reminds me of when Eddie would come up in situations like that.  

Absolutely, that is my memory of Eddie. Whatever happened to the GWRBI stat they used to keep, seemed like he always owned that for a few years. So calm in the box, intense stare/glare, slight wiggle of the end of the bat, just waiting to uncoil. I think both Gunner and Adley have that kind of confidence and talent. 2023 is gonna be fun if only to watch those two, followed by Cowser and Westburg and Ortiz, not to mention Stowers-Vavra.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Whatever happened to the GWRBI stat they used to keep, seemed like he always owned that for a few years. 

It was only an official stat from 1980 to 1988.   In that time, Eddie had the highest total in the AL, 117.   Keith Hernandez had the MLB record of 129.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, that’s a perfect situation for Adley.   Nowhere to put him, and you know you have to throw him a strike fo get him to swing.  It’s almost unfair.  It reminds me of when Eddie would come up in situations like that.  

You just assumed Eddie would get at least one run in.

6 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

You just assumed Eddie would get at least one run in.

I  never assumed that cause the best fail 60-70% of the time. I just remember Eddie looking absolutely menacing, and there wasn't anything the pitcher could do to change that. His focus and that glare, coupled with his historic performance, were just intimidating.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I  never assumed that cause the best fail 60-70% of the time. I just remember Eddie looking absolutely menacing, and there wasn't anything the pitcher could do to change that. His focus and that glare, coupled with his historic performance, were just intimidating.

Just wondering if you actually watched Eddie Murray play. (not trying to be a jerk, I'm really wondering)

If I'm reading Baseball Reference correctly, the dude slashed 480/397/960/1357 with the bases loaded and zero outs. 24 hits, 5 BB and 18 SF... 6 grand slams... 85 RBIs in 73 plate appearances. Pretty sure it was a better assumption than most that Eddie was going to get at least one run in.

(how do you have a batting average of 480 but an OBP of 397? Because of the 18 sac flies?

• Upvote 1

Just wondering if you actually watched Eddie Murray play. (not trying to be a jerk, I'm really wondering)

Oh yes, I'm 73, started with these bums as they became good in early 1960s. Now, that said, I loved Gentile and Triandos so my perspective isn't exactly good at picking out the stars, lol. However, in all my years, I have never seen anyone as menacing as Eddie in those "clutch" situations. I'm not disagreeing that Eddie was more likely than anyone else to drive a run in during those situations,  just commenting that I didn't assume anything because most fail more often than not.

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

Just wondering if you actually watched Eddie Murray play. (not trying to be a jerk, I'm really wondering)

Oh yes, I'm 73, started with these bums as they became good in early 1960s. Now, that said, I loved Gentile and Triandos so my perspective isn't exactly good at picking out the stars, lol. However, in all my years, I have never seen anyone as menacing as Eddie in those "clutch" situations. I'm not disagreeing that Eddie was more likely than anyone else to drive a run in during those situations,  just commenting that I didn't assume anything because most fail more often than not.

That's awesome stuff. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. 

I just looked back at Eddie's overall stats with the bases loaded. He had 299 RBIs in 302 plate appearances. That's just insane. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jagwar said:

That's awesome stuff. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. 

I just looked back at Eddie's overall stats with the bases loaded. He had 299 RBIs in 302 plate appearances. That's just insane. 

I didn't know it was that extreme, so I defer to your comment about always driving one run in. Of course, now Frobby or Drungo will now come in with stats about other "clutch" situations where the production was less, lol.  I don't care, my memory is what is is, Eddie was fearsome and intimidating. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I didn't know it was that extreme, so I defer to your comment about always driving one run in. Of course, now Frobby or Drungo will now come in with stats about other "clutch" situations where the production was less, lol.  I don't care, my memory is what is is, Eddie was fearsome and intimidating. 

It's interesting to look at HOF's stats to see just how awesome they were. If you want a jaw dropping stat journey, look at Jim Palmer's stats from 1969 to 1978. It's just mind boggling the (179 CG and 50 shutouts) numbers he put up. And that includes the year he went 7-12 with a 3.27 ERA. 

Those were the glory  days for the Orioles all right.  With those two, Jim and Eddie, it is little wonder the Orioles won as many games as they did.  A co worker of mine ,a Yankee fan,  always  kidded me about Eddie, calling him Eddieeeeeee.  You definitely wanted him at the plate, from either side,  in situations that called for multi RBI s.    I hope that one day we will feel that way about one or more of the young guys on the team now.  

4 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

Absolutely, that is my memory of Eddie. Whatever happened to the GWRBI stat they used to keep, seemed like he always owned that for a few years. So calm in the box, intense stare/glare, slight wiggle of the end of the bat, just waiting to uncoil. I think both Gunner and Adley have that kind of confidence and talent. 2023 is gonna be fun if only to watch those two, followed by Cowser and Westburg and Ortiz, not to mention Stowers-Vavra.

You're describing HOF talent, which is a fine even if premature bet for Gunnar and Adley. Looks like you've named two tiers after that, with those other guys (i.e., superstars / stars / regulars).