Thursday 9-22-22 vs. the Astros

FlaO'sFan

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

You didn't have his Jockey poster, too?

I kid, I kid.

It doesn't look like this board supports uploading photos.  You'd have to put it on a website and then link to it or something.

My brother made that same quip when I told him I found that poster. 

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

Went to dentist today.  Had a deep cleaning under the gums.  Can hardly eat my dinner.  I feel miserable.   But the O's are winning so all is good in the world tonight. 

Dentists are like legal sadists. I had a dental technician who completely beat up my entire face. I swear she squeaked with pleasure every time I winced. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Geez... part of me thinks you keep Gunnar at 3B, Mateo at 2B, and bring Ortiz and Westburg up to fight it out over 2B and backup for other positions. 

I would rather Ortiz stay at AAA in that scenario. Keep Urias. Have 4 for 3. Gunnar obviously plays everyday. 

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

My concern with Vavra is he doesn't have power to go along with his OBP skill. Maybe that's an unfounded concern. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really don't care about a lack of power if he gets on base at a .380-ish clip and makes pitchers throw a lot of strikes. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Vavra himself isn't particularly concerned about his own power. It seems like even if he gets exactly what he's looking for, he's happy to hit it into the gap rather than swinging out of his shoes and whiffing. That's what I like about him though: he has an approach on every single pitch.

Serious question as to whether he has the physical tools to fight off good stuff in the zone until he gets balls or pitches to hit, but the only way we'll find out is if they play him.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Vavra himself isn't particularly concerned about his own power. It seems like even if he gets exactly what he's looking for, he's happy to hit it into the gap rather than swinging out of his shoes and whiffing. That's what I like about him though: he has an approach on every single pitch.

Serious question as to whether he has the physical tools to fight off good stuff in the zone until he gets balls or pitches to hit, but the only way we'll find out is if they play him.

Exactly right, he's not trying to muscle up and go deep all the time.  He's patient, doesn't swing much out of the zone and makes the pitcher work.  

He is the son of a hitting coach, I'm assuming he's comfortable going to the opposite field to fight something off.  He doesn't look pull-happy.