Thursday 9-22-22 vs. the Astros

FlaO'sFan

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

Okay so finally caught up to live game.

Bradish doing his usual to the Astros.

Odor with a clutch hit

Verlander looking like he usually does.

I doubt we get much else if anything off Verlander hopefully he's done after next inning 

So Rays do nothing offensively against Astros now blowing out the blow jays. Baseball is a funny game.

I foolishly thought Verlander wasn’t sharp early on. Of course HOF players can flip it. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I can't figure out if we should hold onto him or trade him this offseason while his value is high. 

I'm becoming more and more in favor of holding onto him and having him be the OD SS.  Gunnar at 3rd.  Open contest for 2nd base, Ortiz, Westburg, Urias, whatever.  

Mateo's defense is legit, it passes the eye test, the advanced metrics bear it out.  And he can hurt teams on the basepaths.  If he can get any better with the bat, get that OPS north of .700, that's a valuable guy hitting 9th.  

I'm not saying he's a piece for the next 5+ years, there's Jackson Holiday, Ortiz, Westburg and probably others who'll push him out especially if he's not a great hitter.  But that defense is something special, I wouldn't be so cavalier in thinking it's expendable.

BuT JoEy OrTiZ!!1111

Spare me.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm becoming more and more in favor of holding onto him and having him be the OD SS.  Gunnar at 3rd.  Open contest for 2nd base, Ortiz, Westburg, Urias, whatever.  

Mateo's defense is legit, it passes the eye test, the advanced metrics bear it out.  And he can hurt teams on the basepaths.  If he can get any better with the bat, get that OPS north of .700, that's a valuable guy hitting 9th.  

I'm not saying he's a piece for the next 5+ years, there's Jackson Holiday, Ortiz, Westburg and probably others who'll push him out especially if he's not a great hitter.  But that defense is something special, I wouldn't be so cavalier in thinking it's expendable.

BuT JoEy OrTiZ!!1111

Spare me.

I'm wondering it a team might overpay for Mateo. What if he's included in a deal for  a TOR arm? Would you be comfortable replacing him with Ortiz?