John and Georgia Angelos have hired Goldman Sachs to assess the prospects for selling the team

Jim'sKid26

On 9/24/2022 at 12:40 PM, hutchead said:

I just don't think other clubs are standing in line to write him a blank check to hire him like some people suggest. 

I'd wager that right now Elias is viewed as a top 5 executive in baseball. Braves, Dodgers, Astros, Rays are likely at the top. Not sure who else would be viewed as favorably as Elias.

Even if you nitpick that ranking, he will absolutely be in demand. I think the O's should offer him 10 years and $80-100 million to stay. Not even kidding.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I'd wager that right now Elias is viewed as a top 5 executive in baseball. Braves, Dodgers, Astros, Rays are likely at the top. Not sure who else would be viewed as favorably as Elias.

And I'll add, I bet he is in the running for Executive of The Year.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Even if you nitpick that ranking, he will absolutely be in demand. I think the O's should offer him 10 years and $80-100 million to stay. Not even kidding.

I think that’s an Orioles-centric view.  Elias has done an excellent job here, but there are plenty of others who’ve done a very good job elsewhere.  I do think some other teams would be interested if he was available.  We have no idea how long he’s under contract, but he sure talks like a guy who will be here for a while.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Most general managers make between $500,000 and $3 million a year. And you want to pay Elias $10 million a year? I agree he's elite but that's insanity.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s an Orioles-centric view.  Elias has done an excellent job here, but there are plenty of others who’ve done a very good job elsewhere.  I do think some other teams would be interested if he was available.  We have no idea how long he’s under contract, but he sure talks like a guy who will be here for a while.  

Biggest turnaround pretty much ever. Top rated farm system for the second year in a row. Turning below average pitchers into better than average pitchers. Leaders in data and player development. 

I don't think it's Orioles centric view.

1 hour ago, hutchead said:

Most general managers make between $500,000 and $3 million a year. And you want to pay Elias $10 million a year? I agree he's elite but that's insanity.

Andrew Friedman makes $7 million. He signed it in 2019. 

I think the O's will have to make him the top paid guy, or close to it. I'm a little surprised others aren't paid that much, so I'm probably high on his AAV, but I also want him for 10 years, at which point that wouldn't be as outlandish.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think the O's will have to make him the top paid guy, or close to it. I'm a little surprised others aren't paid that much, so I'm probably high on his AAV, but I also want him for 10 years, at which point that wouldn't be as outlandish.

You think he should make more than Friedman?

2 hours ago, hutchead said:

It's insanity but when you think about it, a general manager is more important to the team than any one player.   What's insanity, to me, is that owners will pay 20 and 30M to a player but they try not to pay more than 3M to a guy who is more responsible for how the team performs than any one player.    

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The Orioles have gotten pretty tight lipped on the GM and manager salaries.  So may never know.We knew what Buck made but have no idea how long or how much is Hyde's contract.

It’s unusual for a GM’s salary to be public.  Length of contract is often known.  

59 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Biggest turnaround pretty much ever.

Well, top five or 10 since 1900.  We'll see how the last week or so goes.  They need 88 wins to pass the 98-99 D'backs.

57 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yea, but he has all those Tammany Hall connections.  No, no one will get this reference.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It's insanity but when you think about it, a general manager is more important to the team than any one player.   What's insanity, to me, is that owners will pay 20 and 30M to a player but they try not to pay more than 3M to a guy who is more responsible for how the team performs than any one player.    

It's insanity to blow up the current pay structure.