No game today. DH tomorrow

eddie83

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'll be there. I like attending the last game of the season, one last taste of baseball before the long winter.

Amen to this... there's no such thing as "meaningless baseball."  

"You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive..."  

- A. Barlett Giamatti "The Green Fields of the Mind"

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

They said they were going to leave it up to Lyles, he must have declined. Personally I would also have brought Grayson up to get his feet wet, since he will have to be added to the 40-man roster anyway, but oh well.

From everything I know about Lyles, I would be shocked if he declined.

19 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Nobody really benefits from canceling games like this if they're able to be played. Some fans want to go, the team makes some $ off attendance, and there are players trying to make their mark. 

Yes, for example Santander now will have two chances to reach 35 HR's, which would be a nice milestone for him.

7 minutes ago, vab said:

Not worth it, especially to the Jays who are starting a playoff series in two days. If they lost one of their frontline guys it would be beyond ridiculous. Something will probably be done to avoid such a thing at some point but they'll probably wait until it bites of these playoff clubs in the butt. 

They could say no doubleheaders on the last day if it doesn't affect playoff seeding maybe. Other than that, teams have been playing meaningless games to end the season for all of baseball history. There's probably less meaningless games now than ever before due to the larger number of playoff teams. 

I also wonder if there is any contractual obligation to stadium staff. Maybe not, but there are plenty of workers who might get paid less if the league started canceling games that don't affect the playoffs. 

In any event, the article suggesting the Jays forfeit points out that the games technically could determine home field advantage in the event of a Jays-Guardians ALCS. That's probably enough for MLB to say they do count for postseason purposes. 

1 hour ago, vab said:

Not worth it, especially to the Jays who are starting a playoff series in two days. If they lost one of their frontline guys it would be beyond ridiculous. Something will probably be done to avoid such a thing at some point but they'll probably wait until it bites of these playoff clubs in the butt. 

What could possibly be done from a league perspective? It’s up to the Jays to protect their guys, and hopefully help us get a couple more W’s.

I don’t know how relevant it is to baseball contracts but tons of football players have incentives they are trying to reach on the last game.