The MLB Playoffs General Game Thread

Moose Milligan

Noticed something unusual in the Phillies-Braves box score.

Though the Phillies gave him six runs of support while he was in the game, starter Ranger Suarez lasted only 3 1/3 innings, so he couldn't be credited with the win.

After two other relievers combined to get only three outs while allowing two runs to score, Brad Hand entered in the bottom of the fifth with the score 7-3, one out, and two runners on base.  He retired the side in the fifth without any further scoring.  Because the tying run was on deck when he entered the game and his team still held the lead when he left, he qualified for a hold.

Seranthony Dominguez entered the game in the sixth and pitched two perfect innings.  The official scorer decided he had been the most effective of all the Phillies' relievers in the game, so he was credited with the win.

Can anyone recall another time when a hold was credited to a pitcher who appeared in the game BEFORE the pitcher who was credited with the win?  I can't.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Postgame show said it was for the first Loss-to-Win October walkoff since Kirk Gibson.

116.7 on the shot - all 2022, just 12 batters (one of whom was Yordan) attained 116.7.

Interesting stat and I would have never guessed Gibson's 1988 WS home run was the last time this exact scenario happened during the postseason. Would have figured it happened at least a couple times with all the added playoff rounds now. 

It looks like the Dodgers are not rushing to get Tyler Anderson (15-5, 2.57) October innings.     What do they think, 4-win seasons from bulk guys just grow on trees.     

I trust he'll be up for whatever contract offers Orioles-type teams make him, too.     Probably kind of nice ones, but nothing too lavish I hope.    I wonder if Jordan Lyles could have thrown a sub 3.00 ERA as a LAD this year.

20 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I wonder who our future Yordan Alvarez will be.  Another huge HR puts the Astros ahead. In future lineup projections a bat like his seems to be the missing ingredient. 

I was going to post almost verbatim what you posted!  I was discouraged thinking he was an international signing.  He was signed by the Dodgers in Jun 2016, but then traded to the Astros that same August.  Which probably means they both were focused heavily on him as an amateur in Cuba at ages 16-18. 

While I still believe we've got years to go before our International signings start to be top-notch and not just the leftovers, Frobby has stated that since it's been 3-4 years now, we've already caught up. If that's true, the guys we're scouting now are the pool from which our Yordan will come. And he'll be 18-19, and we'll see him really contribute at 24-25. Like, 6 years from now. 

Anyway, I have no names to offer but I agree a bat like his is key. 

Guardians bullpen up to 18 shutout innings postseason to date.

Rosenthal had a couple comps on Spencer Strider guaranteed money for 1st year pitchers, about $30mm more than Nola got coming off a 3rd place Cy debut season, and about $20mm more than Miami gave Alcantara.

Let's go Manny!   Padres getting the Dodger Stadium split with having to throw their 4th starter give Snell and Musgrove the shot at the favorites in their own yard.    Soto has been relatively quiet so far.

Wonder how much the forearm strain dinged the Tony Gonsolin who put up 16-1, 2.14 this season.

One of the things I kind of believe is that on true talent he and Dean Kremer aren't that much different - both are kind of what LAD can do with small school guys, late bloomers, whatever, who know how to pitch.

Beneath Julio Urias and Clayton Kershaw, everyone is a once through the order guy in October.

Snell tonight is someone Fangraphs threw as a comp on DL Hall in their offseason prospect list (near end of Longenhagen's collaboration with Kevin Goldstein before Goldstein hooked back up with a Club).

If he ends up in a bullpen, then we’re talking about an elite reliever, as close as you can get to karmic retribution for the Josh Hader trade. More likely, Hall ends up as an inefficient starter in the Blake Snell mold, though Hall is a better athlete than Snell and has a better shot to hone his command as a result. Regardless of the specifics of his eventual role, Hall is going to be an impact big league arm, and probably very soon.