Fangraphs: 7 top 100 guys

Sports Guy

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-end-of-season-top-100-prospect-list-update/

And a mention of Westburg in this article as well.

Interesting to note whe talking about the 3 SS, he only mentions one of them as a plus defender and it wasn’t Ortiz.

But he also mentioned that Ortiz’ defense benefits from the no-shift rule.  That’s part of how Eric justified the bump into the top 100.  

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Interesting to note whe talking about the 3 SS, he only mentions one of them as a plus defender and it wasn’t Ortiz.

Yep, and Westburg is not in the top 109.   I'm surprised that Westburg is not in the top 100 and doesn't look like he was that close.

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

it would be very interesting to put a roster together with this group, which sans holiday, will be likely up next year.  I think hays or mullins are going to have to be traded and perhaps mountcastle.

9 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Interesting that they believe Holliday won't arrive until 2028. That's a bit longer than Jackson's plans. 

That has to be an error and maybe you read it wrong.   Holliday would be 24 years old.   There's no way that anyone would project a 1:1 pick who looks like he's on the fast track.   2025 is possible and 2026 would be considered a conservative estimate, IMO.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That has to be an error and maybe you read it wrong.   Holliday would be 24 years old.   There's no way that anyone would project a 1:1 pick who looks like he's on the fast track.   2025 is possible and 2026 would be considered a conservative estimate, IMO.

Not sure how to post a screen cap, but the date in his ETA column says 2028

Just now, mlrhode said:

He has all the ‘22 top picks at 2028. Jones and Johnson too

Ok.  Then I guess it's not an error but it seems very strange.   No one expects any of those guys to be in the minor leagues for the next 5 full seasons.   Ryan Mountcastle made the majors at age 22 as a HS draftee and these guys are way better prospects than he ever was or was considered.   As I said, it wouldn't surprise me if Holliday made it by age 21 or 22, so that's 2025 or 2026.   If Holliday isn't here by 2026 then something went wrong.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  Then I guess it's not an error but it seems very strange.   No one expects any of those guys to be in the minor leagues for the next 5 full seasons.   Ryan Mountcastle made the majors at age 22 as a HS draftee and these guys are way better prospects than he ever was or was considered.   As I said, it wouldn't surprise me if Holliday made it by age 21 or 22, so that's 2025 or 2026.   If Holliday isn't here by 2026 then something went wrong.

I think it’s a placeholder date as to when they’ll be out of minor league options. None of them have even played a full minor league season yet 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Conversely, the players who have slam dunk middle infield defensive ability probably deserve a boost. I feel confident enough that this is true to have moved Orioles shortstop Joseph Ortiz

I would say that being described as having "slam dunk" defensive ability is better than being described as a fringe defender like Westburg was described.

• Upvote 1

The two guys who had the most HRs in our entire minor leagues  don’t  get a sniff of the top 100? Seriously? 

Me thinks if Norby or Westburg were in the NY or Boston systems they’d be in the top 50 easy. It appears that having too many good prospects can actually cause your organization to be discounted, rather than judged fairly. 

3 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

The two guys who had the most HRs in our entire minor leagues  don’t  get a sniff of the top 100? Seriously? 

Me thinks if Norby or Westburg were in the NY or Boston systems they’d be in the top 50 easy. It appears that having too many good prospects can actually cause your organization to be discounted, rather than judged fairly. 

You know other teams have good prospects too, right?

• Upvote 1