MLB Playoffs

Bahama O's Fan

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Is it better to miss the playoffs by a few games, or to make them and get your heart ripped out right away? I’d still say the latter is better, but they both have downsides.  

Definitely seeing your team make the playoffs and flame out is better than watching your team pack up after 162. Even if the flame-out involves giving up a game-winning homer while your relief ace watches from the bullpen.

I say that as the fan of a team that rarely gets to the post-season. It might look different if your team is a frequent playoff team. I wouldn't know -- I'm too far removed from that.

Buck's postseason record isn't the best .  

MLB should take another look at their playoff system.  In MLB , unlike the NBA, an inferior team can easily win a game or a short series.  

The Cardinals won their division and were 6 games better than the Phillies..  The Mets won 101 games and were eliminated by an 89 win San Diego team.

Too many teams in the playoffs.  Also all these teams making it takes the drama out of pennant races.

10 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Buck's postseason record isn't the best .  

MLB should take another look at their playoff system.  In MLB , unlike the NBA, an inferior team can easily win a game or a short series.  

The Cardinals won their division and were 6 games better than the Phillies..  The Mets won 101 games and were eliminated by an 89 win San Diego team.

Too many teams in the playoffs.  Also all these teams making it takes the drama out of pennant races.

If the Mets win one game against the Cubs they don't have to play the Padres.

No system is perfect.

Back in the day you could win 101 and miss the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the Mets win one game against the Cubs they don't have to play the Padres.

No system is perfect.

Back in the day you could win 101 and miss the playoffs.

Personally, I think there are too many teams.  But the above is correct.  Whatever the system, teams control their own fate.  And playoff baseball is always about who is hot not necessarily who is best.  The Padres are an especially dangerous team that could lose out at any time or win it all....sometimes the Kansas City Royals can play well for a few weeks and make a lot of hay.  Sometimes better teams miss either because they overthink, underplay or just get beat.  It's baseball.

You see that in hockey a lot, such as the 8th seed knocks out the top seed because: 1) the 8th seed finishes the season Strong and is in a roll, and 2) the 1st seed rested their players the last few weeks of the season and are not as ‘hungry’ as the teams that just made the playoffs.  Unfortunately this affected the Caps more than a few times in the last decade.

I like this version of the playoffs.  I like a short wild card round a lot better than a wild card game.  This isn't football, the inferior baseball team is going to win 1 game 40+% of the time.  It gives the best teams, the teams with the 2 best records, time to rest and set up their playoff rotation ideally.  More chances for the O's to make the real playoffs too.  I don't consider playing one game being in the playoffs.  It's like you are trying to get into the playoffs.  Is there a 2016 wild card game banner?

• Upvote 1

Just happened to glance at the Padres roster, and notice that only one backup catcher and one reliever were drafted by SD; every other player on the whole roster was acquired by trade, free agency, or purchase. Didn't SD have one of the top farm systems a few years back? They are an extreme case of parlaying prospect depth into MLB playoff assets. Recent trades (since 2019) account for 7 of 9 positions and all 4 starting pitchers. 

Thoughts?