What 3 moves would you make this off season (that are realistic)?

DocJJ

On 10/9/2022 at 7:08 PM, Jim'sKid26 said:

Sign Martin Perez to a 4/$80M with a 5th year based on IP at $16M

Sign Anthony Rizzo to a 3/$70M 

Trade Westburg/ Santander/DL Hall to Milwaukee for Corbin Burnes

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-yankees/anthony-rizzo-8670/market-value/

https://franchisesports.co.uk/brewers-trade-targets-2022-deadline/

I like a lot of this! Perez for 3 years and 2 option.

No Rizzo

The trade for Burns works but we could just sign a guy like Stripling, then we could use our assets for another bat.

1 hour ago, MarCakes21 said:

I like Lodolo, but remind me why the Reds make this move?

The Reds need everything.  Offense and pitching.   A trade in which they get multiple players back makes sense for them.  I'm not saying this package works but something like this.   Maybe not.     Someone said that Mountcastle would have hit 40 homers if he played all of his games in Cincy.    Just an idea.

22 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

WS or bust.

1.  Sign Verlander 2/80

2. Sign Contreras 4/75

3. Bring back Jorge Lopez if the Twins non arb him. 

Keep our bounty of prospects and see where we stand at the deadline. 

I’m confused, what’s Contreras going to be doing, bench bat?

We need a BACKUP catcher.

11 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I like a lot of this! Perez for 3 years and 2 option.

No Rizzo

The trade for Burns works but we could just sign a guy like Stripling, then we could use our assets for another bat.

Ok. You have to explain why no Rizzo. Power hitting LH with GG defense at 1B. O's need a MoO bat. With Wallitimore a LH power bat is much preferred.

With regard to Stripling:

Stripling: ERA+ = 3.57, xFIP= 3.67, BABIP=.269, K/9 = 7.4, IP= 134.1, Age= will play all of 2023 at 33

Burnes: ERA+ = 3.05 , xFIP= 2.85, BABIP= .292, K/9 = 11.7, IP= 202, Age= 28

How do you consider these two pitchers interchangeable? Burnes >>>>Stripling

If we are going to completely block Kyle Stowers, Michael Conforto, Joey Gallo and Michael Brantley are three left handed DH/OF/1B type bats I could see OMAR's algorithms liking.

But to the extent I'm allocating chunks of $10mm dollars towards the roster, it seems like the first FOUR * $10mm should go to Arms before Bats.    It'd be neat and tidy if we had the bank, and Justin Verlander would just accept our ~$40mm.     Jacob deGrom same, though there lots of art for the Economic Analyst...$20mm base, and we'll give you a $1mm bonus for starts 20-29 and a $2.5mm bonus for starts 30-33.

Stowers might be fine and even if he isn't you can try Westburg or Cowser as the first half goes along, assuming you don't deprive Ramon Urias of his job.

I am curious to see if we pay a stud reliever, kind of like how Friedman is always happy to put ~$10mm on the Blake Treinen type guy so he can pitch four innings in the regular season and then 12% of the team's innings in October.

45 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

If we are going to completely block Kyle Stowers, Michael Conforto, Joey Gallo and Michael Brantley are three left handed DH/OF/1B type bats I could see OMAR's algorithms liking.

But to the extent I'm allocating chunks of $10mm dollars towards the roster, it seems like the first FOUR * $10mm should go to Arms before Bats.    It'd be neat and tidy if we had the bank, and Justin Verlander would just accept our ~$40mm.     Jacob deGrom same, though there lots of art for the Economic Analyst...$20mm base, and we'll give you a $1mm bonus for starts 20-29 and a $2.5mm bonus for starts 30-33.

Stowers might be fine and even if he isn't you can try Westburg or Cowser as the first half goes along, assuming you don't deprive Ramon Urias of his job.

I am curious to see if we pay a stud reliever, kind of like how Friedman is always happy to put ~$10mm on the Blake Treinen type guy so he can pitch four innings in the regular season and then 12% of the team's innings in October.

It seems to me there are plenty of LH OFs in the system. There is no 1B. I think Gallo could play 1B. But Rizzo is a real 1B with multiple pieces of precious metal...

52 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It helps when you have a $300 million payroll.

10 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

It seems to me there are plenty of LH OFs in the system. There is no 1B. I think Gallo could play 1B. But Rizzo is a real 1B with multiple pieces of precious metal...

I'm still on the Mountcastle Glass Half Full....am hopeful the glove will get better with a few years practice now, and curious to see what being around Adley-Gunnar an entire season might do.     He was always ever just a Supporting Cast member, but he still might be a good one.

So looking at Rizzo compared to say Brantley-Conforto-Gallo, I'm not as anxious to unseat RMC from 1B.

Until Spenser Watkins is so far down the depth chart that it is pretty unlikely the Club will need him to pitch at all though, I'm waaay more interested in what pitching can be added.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

What about Joc Pederson?  I like the career .335 OBP.

It's hard to make any additions to the offense without blocking prospects or trading players on the current roster. 

I would replace Mountcastle with a high OBP, power hitting 1B/DH who bats left handed.  I think that could do wonders for our offense. 

I haven't analyzed the free agent class deeply but I would also like to sign at least one premium SP and a dominant late inning reliever (can never have too many of those). 

So TOR SP, high OPS left handed hitting 1B/DH, and late inning power reliever in that order of priority. 

Edited by ChuckS

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

High expectations from the fandome that we sign a premium FA.

Hate to be a Debby Downer, but I dont see that happening. I hope to be proven wrong.

I don't expect any massive contracts either.    Elias pretty much said that he's more inclined to trade for someone and he might have to use to prospect capital to do so.   So yeah, a Pablo Lopez type or one of the Astros starters, something like that.    Maybe a FA hitter who doesn't break the bank.   I do not expect us to sign a top tier FA of any kind.

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don't expect any massive contracts either.    Elias pretty much said that he's more inclined to trade for someone and he might have to use to prospect capital to do so.   So yeah, a Pablo Lopez type or one of the Astros starters, something like that.    Maybe a FA hitter who doesn't break the bank.   I do not expect us to sign a top tier FA of any kind.

This is probably the right take.  I'm holding out hope for acquiring a top starter some way.  The O's don't have any starters I would want starting vs another team's ace in the playoffs.  Likely offensive upgrade will be a better backup catcher and a guy who mashes lefties.