Is Jose Abreu a worthy target?

Frobby

14 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

To me he has very little value with a .305 OBP. That was a big problem this year with the majority of our team and the run differential 

I think there is some optimism for Mountcastle in that department next year. His BB% increased from 5.1% in the first half of 2022 to 9.4% in the second half. He's a .261 career hitter and he only hit .221 in the second half last year. 

He's never going to be an on-base machine but I would not be surprised if he makes strides next season at the plate.

Mountcastle has a career 7.1 BB%, which is not good, but it's not downright terrible and is much better than someone like Austin Hays.

Edited by dzorange

This is one free agent I'm fine to have missed us. He's a great hitter, but it doesn't make much sense for our team. I'd take my chances with Mounty improving and target someone who's more of a backup 1B/UTIF/LHH, or a LH OF. I'd prefer to move Santander to DH with a Benintendi signing than Mountcastle to DH with an Abreu signing. 

Edited by interloper