Who has more trade value, Urias or Mateo?

Frobby

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It could.  Mullins is the most valuable player in that trade by WAR and service time.  Cabrera probably  has the most value in terms of potential and service time. 

Urias has been worth more WAR than Lopez, as has Mullins.  So yea, I could see it but it just depends on the Marlins evaluations of those guys.

I just don't think you could get both Lopez and Cabrera in that trade.  But, what about substituting Max Meyer for one of them in a Seth Johnson type of move.  Younger, high risk-high reward type player.  Max effort pitcher with some bullpen risk but lots of talent.  You have to wait a year for TJ recovery.  If I'm doing that, I would try to get Cabrera with more team control.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I just don't think you could get both Lopez and Cabrera in that trade.  But, what about substituting Max Meyer for one of them in a Seth Johnson type of move.  Younger, high risk-high reward type player.  Max effort pitcher with some bullpen risk but lots of talent.  You have to wait a year for TJ recovery.  If I'm doing that, I would try to get Cabrera with more team control.

I’m good with that.  But I think, as a board, we  overrate Lopez.  I like him and would like to add him but he’s not an overly elite guy and he doesn’t have a ton of control left.

Definitely prefer Cabrera and Meyer over him.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are petite but not that petite.

rs_634x1024-210614140216-634-jonah_hill-

Hill played a thinly-disguised Paul DePodesta in Moneyball, and I guess he gained a lot of weight for the role? Because DePodesta is built like this picture, perhaps 6' and 170?

Maybe Hill just used to be heavy and now isn't? Or they wanted to use a fat, unathletic guy to emphasize  nerdy sterotypes. Yes, I'm going with that one.

15 hours ago, NCRaven said:

To clarify, the mock trade was not for both Lopez and Cabrera.  It was for one of them.  Don't think we could get Meyer in that as well (unless we're adding another piece).  And agreed with preferring Cabrera.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Hill played a thinly-disguised Paul DePodesta in Moneyball, and I guess he gained a lot of weight for the role? Because DePodesta is built like this picture, perhaps 6' and 170?

Maybe Hill just used to be heavy and now isn't? Or they wanted to use a fat, unathletic guy to emphasize  nerdy sterotypes. Yes, I'm going with that one.

He's lost a lot of weight fairly recently.

I'm mildly interested in how it will effect the roles he gets going forward.

As I said in the GG thread, I think it'd be nice to have the IF depth on the MLB club for 2023. My starters around the horn would probably be Henderson, Mateo, Urias, and Mountcastle. Even if Vavra breaks camp with the big club, there's still enough ABs to go around and enough flexibility to move guys around to maintain fresh legs all year.

Some of those Sunday lineups were just abysmal, and keeping Urias and Mateo, while perhaps a slight luxury, helps to mitigate those ugly lineups.

21 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Isn't the likely case over the medium term that teams will shift priorities somewhat towards better fielders in general to cover the extra area, thereby depressing the relative value of those who are already in the game? 

In other words, Mateo is a 10 in a world where the average player is a five.  With no shifts teams may prioritize fielding skill over hitting to some degree, so Mateo would be a 10 in a world where the average is now 5.5. 

Would love to be the proverbial fly on the wall and hear other teams discussing how they value Mateo / Urias, and even other O's players that might be trade targets. If Urias at 3B, Mateo at SS and Oritz at 2B are all plus plus defensively, and we are trying to find Gunnar's position, that seems like a pretty sittin' place.