Os decline Lyles option

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So refreshing to have a GM who knows what they hell they are doing.

Yup.  It would have been so easy (and lazy) to simply pick up the option and say "well, we addressed our rotation!"  Definitely something you would expect from an old iteration of the front office.

The Bird in the hand tis now in the bush. Not a surprise and hopefully an indicator of better to come. I will remain optimistic till proven otherwise. Still like Lyles - later perhaps - for depth - now at a lower salary. Seems this may be an off season unlike any we have experienced in a while. 

Do we count that $1mm towards 2022 or 2023's payroll?

Easy call at this price point, the more interesting question for what the team will be is if they can roster enough SP for a season who you'd figure would run K-BB percentages more like 15 than 10.

Some of my caution with the notion of '23 Lyles on the roster is he was so good at his 2022 job, it'd be a little tougher for Hyde to remove him from his role if he opened the year utterly ineffective as he always seemed to be flirting with.     The risk of 6.50 ERA expanding to 50+ innings is higher with this individual, anyone else it'd be easier to move on to Povich, Baumann, etc. if things get that bad.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly.

They should be aiming to be better. 

Exactly. And finally, they appear to be.  It wasn't long ago that they were too lazy to sign a bat to improve the team and went dumpster diving for the likes of Colby Rasmus and Travis Snider and tried to play them up as key acquisitions.  I sincerely hope those days are over. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I'm not a fan of this. Pick up the option, it's only 10 million AND go get another top tier starter. 

I was leaning in that direction but I'm really not upset. He is a great innings eater but has been basically replacement level. If you keep Lyles that probably forces Voth to bullpen, but he was pretty great as a 5th starter. Behind Voth we still have options in Hall, Baumann, Zimmermann, and Watkins, plus hopefully Means. 

If this is a signal we are in on the Bassit/Anderson tier instead of the Clevinger tier, I am all for it. 

• Upvote 1