Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

24 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I wouldn't give Archer a guaranteed Major League contract.  What am I missing?

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Fine for a MiLB contract to give Holt a chance to work with him.  But not fine for a crack at the OD as a legit SP improvement. 

I hope it's fake...

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If they sign Archer, that’s an embarrassment and Elias should be ripped in the media..of course we know he won’t.

Seriously, I’d like to know why it would be embarrassing.   It would only bother me if that were our big pitching move of the offseason.  If we pick up Archer as an additional possible back end piece, so what?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they sign Archer, that’s an embarrassment and Elias should be ripped in the media..of course we know he won’t.

Let's pump the brakes here, homie.  It'd depend on what the contract is...if it's guaranteed, it's insane and yes, I'd agree that he should be ripped a little.

If it's an ST invite, that's not a big deal.  Hopefully in that case he'd be like Matt Harvey and just be in AAA all year and never called up.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seriously, I’d like to know why it would be embarrassing.   It would only bother me if that were our big pitching move of the offseason.  If we pick up Archer as an additional possible back end piece, so what?

1) He’s not that good

2) He’s not reliable

3) Elias essentially came out and said we need to do better than Lyles..this isn’t it.

4) The Orioles don’t need back end starters.  They have plenty of them.  They need TOR type guys.

Unless they view Archer as  a sleeper late inning BP arm and that is the role they want him for, signing him to be a starter is flat out stupid, regardless of the contract.  He could get the league minimum and it’s still dumb because the roster spot matters.  Because the spot in the rotation matters. 

As far as using the word embarrassment…it goes to show you that this team won’t spend or make the moves necessary to win in 2023 and that is absolutely an embarrassment unless you are a complete homer and just bow down to any move they make.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let's pump the brakes here, homie.  It'd depend on what the contract is...if it's guaranteed, it's insane and yes, I'd agree that he should be ripped a little.

If it's an ST invite, that's not a big deal.  Hopefully in that case he'd be like Matt Harvey and just be in AAA all year and never called up.  

Archer isn’t signing a non guaranteed MiL deal at this point in the offseason.  He can get that deal whenever he wants.  No reason to do that before Thanksgiving.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Archer isn’t signing a non guaranteed MiL deal at this point in the offseason.  He can get that deal whenever he wants.  No reason to do that before Thanksgiving.

Agreed.  I think he’ll get a major league deal.  But even taking the Jack Rose rumor at face value, all the rumor says is that the O’s have talked to him, and the interest is mutual.   That doesn’t mean the O’s are on the verge of signing the guy.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.  I think he’ll get a major league deal.  But even taking the Jack Rose rumor at face value, all the rumor says is that the O’s have talked to him, and the interest is mutual.   That doesn’t mean the O’s are on the verge of signing the guy.   

I don’t believe the Os are interested in him.

I’m just speaking to the idea of it if they were.  It’s stupid and can’t be justified.

Look at his statcast numbers,  barely average is the BEST he was in their measurements.

He’s a brutal, terrible signing on every level imaginable for this organization.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/chris-archer-502042?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t even really care if it’s a guaranteed contract, so long as the dollars are small.  And like I said, he can’t be the major pitching acquisition of the offseason. 

I don’t see how a guy who threw 102 innings at a 4.56 ERA is comparable to Harvey, who threw 127 innings at a 6.39 ERA in 2021.   4.56 ERA is below average, but pretty typical fifth starter stuff.   6.39 is “out of the majors” stuff.  Archer will get a big league contract somewhere.  

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t believe the Os are interested in him.

I’m just speaking to the idea of it if they were.  It’s stupid and can’t be justified.

Look at his statcast numbers,  barely average is the BEST he was in their measurements.

He’s a brutal, terrible signing on every level imaginable for this organization.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/chris-archer-502042?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

OK, I will admit those numbers are pretty brutal.   But let’s say the O’s think they’ve spotted a mechanical flaw they can fix, and want to take a $2 mm flyer on Archer?   I don’t think that’s so terrible, so long as that’s not the big pitching move of the offseason.  Every year there’s a few veterans who’d been given up for dead who make a good contribution to a team.  Look at Michael Wacha last year.

A few things:

Could Swanson potentially be a target for 2B, especially with the shift coming? He could be and elite guy there, especially as he is durable, a +dWar guy, and has the potential for 25+ HRs a year?

Archer's numbers aren't terribly far from what Lyles was bringing when we signed him. His splits are interesting to look over from last year,but its also really his first full season back from TOS surgery. He would probably come much cheaper than Lyles 7 Million in 2022, but I would only support this if Elias picked up at least 2 other starters via trade or FA.  Archer should be in competition for #5 or the long relief option if he's truly been identified as a 4-5 inning max starter.

Whatever backup catcher we end up with probably won't wow anyone. Probably just hoping for something stronger than Chirinos' +58 OPS+