Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Teoscar can really play.    Its more of a lateral move for me with respect to TOR overall team strength if it happens.

Nimmo is a much better overall player. His only issue are the injuries. If he plays 120 games a year he would put up more WAR than Hernandez would in 162. That's a big if though.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m searching for reasons why Bassitt should be a top target but I’m struggling to find them.  

I think  he is a good pitcher but at age 34, how much longer will he be good And not become a back end type guy?

Because he is the best free agent starter that the Orioles might realistically pursue and actually sign due to factors like price and contract length. Regardless of whether one thinks they should or shouldn't, they aren't giving Verlander or deGrom $40 million a year and they aren't giving Rodon a 5 or 6 year contract. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. 

Bassitt's the next best SP available on the open market and his contract will probably only be 3 or 4 years at $18-22 million a year. That is a lot more realistic for the Orioles.

Also, if you're worried about Bassitt being 34, boy do I have some bad news for you regarding Verlander...

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Because he is the best free agent starter that the Orioles might realistically pursue and actually sign due to factors like price and contract length. Regardless of whether one thinks they should or shouldn't, they aren't giving Verlander or deGrom $40 million a year and they aren't giving Rodon a 5 or 6 year contract. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. 

Bassitt's the next best SP available on the open market and his contract will probably only be 3 or 4 years at $18-22 million a year. That is a lot more realistic for the Orioles.

Also, if you're worried about Bassitt being 34, boy do I have some bad news for you regarding Verlander...

Verlander is still missing bats at a high level and throwing hard. Bassitt isn’t. 

I wouldn’t consider Verlander for 3 years. 

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Verlander is still missing bats at a high level and throwing hard. Bassitt isn’t. 

I wouldn’t consider Verlander for 3 years. 

Okay, then I guess Bassitt's out too. Looks like we're shopping in the Syndergaard/Walker/Taillon/Heaney/Wacha aisle of free agent SPs after all :noidea:

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Trades, not signings.

We need 2 dependable SPs if we are going to realistically compete next year and trading for both would probably get uncomfortably expensive. The upshot of getting at least 1 of the 2 via free agency is that it would only cost money and a 3rd round draft pick at most while also giving us another year to evaluate the second and third tier prospects before dealing too many of them away.

1 minute ago, MarCakes21 said:

It's a waste of assets.  You have to then sign what you trade from.  Ie, trade Mullins/Santander, then you have to sign Nimmo and Abreu.  Why not just shell out the money for arms in the first place.

Well that’s not necessarily true.  It depends on who you trade and what you trade for.

And a waste of assets can also be holding onto players and watch their value drop and watch them walk away for next to nothing.

38 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

If I takes 3/130 to get the 40-year old Verlander, I’ll happily go 5/150 for Rodon.

If those are too much risk then they need to double up on two #3’s like sign Taillon and trade for someone like Pablo Lopez.

Plan C is trading for an ace.  

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If I takes 3/130 to get the 40-year old Verlander, I’ll happily go 5/150 for Rodon.

If those are too much risk then they need to double up on two #3’s like sign Taillon and trade for someone like Pablo Lopez.

Plan C is trading for an ace.  

How does adding two #3 starters put them into contention though? Seems like a waste of time to me.

2 minutes ago, tabletop said:

How does adding two #3 starters put them into contention though? Seems like a waste of time to me.

We were in contention last year.   Remember 2014?  You can go a long way with 5 solid starters and a good bullpen.

Edited by RZNJ