Who are the Orioles 2022 #7 and #8 Prospects?

Tony-OH

Who are the Orioles 2022 #7 and #8 Prospects?   

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the Orioles 2022 #7 and #8 Prospects?

• #7 Cowser and #8 DL Hall
    • #7 Cowser and #8 Fabian
    • #7 DL Hall and #8 Westburg
    • #7 Ortiz and #8 Cowser
    • #7 Westburg and #8 Mayo

This poll is closed to new votes

This one baffles me.  I’m surprised Westburg or Cowser are this low and either one is part of every combination.   You were also in love with Mayo.  Hard to believe that love affair is over already.    Personally,  Westburg/Mayo makes the most sense to me but again it’s hard to believe you dropped Mayo to #8.    So, I went Ortiz and Cowser because someone said you were a little down on Cowser.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

This one baffles me.  I’m surprised Westburg or Cowser are this low and either one is part of every combination.   You were also in love with Mayo.  Hard to believe that love affair is over already.    Personally,  Westburg/Mayo makes the most sense to me but again it’s hard to believe you dropped Mayo to #8.    So, I went Ortiz and Cowser because someone said you were a little down on Cowser.

I get the sense from your answers that you view these polls as a chance to guess Tony's mind, rather than a chance to voice your preference. I say this realizing of course, that there is some of Tony's thinking baked in to the pairings offered in each case... but still, it strikes me as interesting how you approach answering.

This isn't a criticism... in any way... just an interesting observation to me.

I also picked Hall and Westburg. I think you could make the case that 4-8 are interchangeable. We'll see how Cowser's growth affects that thinking, but right now I think you can make a case for a lot of those guys at #4, or a case that they're not as valuable and can fall to 8.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think you could make the case that 4-8 are interchangeable. We'll see how Cowser's growth affects that thinking, but right now I think you can make a case for a lot of those guys at #4, or a case that they're not as valuable and can fall to 8.

This is kind of where I’m at.  We have a clear 1-3, and a clear 4-8.   I could even have said 4-9 and included Norby, but Tony’s write-up on his defense leaves him at 9 in my book.  And Fabian isn’t top 10 material yet.  

Personally, I would have gone with Ortiz/Mayo or Mayo/Ortiz here, but those aren’t options.   I’m going with Westburg/Mayo, but my level of confidence isn’t high, remembering that Tony ranked Mayo no. 3 last year.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is kind of where I’m at.  We have a clear 1-3, and a clear 4-8.   I could even have said 4-9 and included Norby, but Tony’s write-up on his defense leaves him at 9 in my book.  And Fabian isn’t top 10 material yet.  

Personally, I would have gone with Ortiz/Mayo or Mayo/Ortiz here, but those aren’t options.   I’m going with Westburg/Mayo, but my level of confidence isn’t high, remembering that Tony ranked Mayo no. 3 last year.   

I suspect this board is a little less optimistic about Mayo than Tony is. 

Mayo is seemingly the one guy in our system with prodigious power. Add in young age for level and a fair amount of success (interrupted by injury), and I think Tony's still going to be very high on him. 

I am still very high on Mayo too.

46 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I also picked Hall and Westburg. I think you could make the case that 4-8 are interchangeable. We'll see how Cowser's growth affects that thinking, but right now I think you can make a case for a lot of those guys at #4, or a case that they're not as valuable and can fall to 8.

This is valid observation. Really, 4-9 to me have some interchangeability in the rankings this year for me. I have moved them around and back, and then around again, but finally went with my gut on a few guys. Really guys with a glaring weakness (platoon concerns, defense, arm, bullpen vs starting, etc) are guys that will come up lower.

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is valid observation. Really, 4-9 to me have some interchangeability in the rankings this year for me. I have moved them around and back, and then around again, but finally went with my gut on a few guys. Really guys with a glaring weakness (platoon concerns, defense, arm, bullpen vs starting, etc) are guys that will come up lower.

When choosing which time of the year is the best for reading the OH, I choose the weeks after the WS. That's when the Prospects list comes out.  Thanks again for doing the heavy lifting, Tony. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1