Top 10 is done..No Intl prospects

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Do we have any clue whatsoever on guys they may or may not January 2023 or is it just a big surprise?

Yes.  There's a top SS by the name of something like Almeyda.   Let me check.   He's pretty much going to be our go guy.

From Baseball America:

Luis Almeyda, SS, Dominican Republic
Team: Orioles

Almeyda was well known from an early age on the college recruiting trail when he was growing up in New Jersey. While he could have had his pick among some of the top college programs in the country, he instead moved to the Dominican Republic and will sign for what should be a bonus above $2 million as an international free agent.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Basallo would be in my top 10.  But the point still remains the same.  He’s the only guy who is even close to being worth a mention. The Intl FAs haven’t produced much so far.

Of course, this is why I don’t care about them spending 7 figures and burning a lot of their pool on one player.  

With that said, obviously the guys who are getting the bigger bonuses are being viewed as the higher upside guys and so far, the Os seem to be striking out in that regards.

I don't know, I feel like 1 top-10 org prospect in essentially 2 drafts isn't that bad a hit rate, especially when you consider that the domestic product has massively overperformed and the international market had been handicapped really until the January 2022 signing period.  This is really the first year that you'd expect a player signed during Elias' first 2 signing periods to be playing stateside.  If in 2025 we only have 1 international signing in our top 10 and our domestic prospects aren't all over the overall top-100 lists, It would be cause for concern.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1