“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

If I was commissioner for a day, with Clubs playing the high years low AAV games when it is reasonably likely they won't play the player a year or three at the end, I'd be tempted to try and invent a rule like they can't get back the 40-man roster spot until the contract is over.

The structure will simply save them ~$5-10mm/year while Realmuto, Nola and Wheeler are still there and near their peaks.

The Orioles with no tax thresholds in sight for four or five horizons could lean the other way and structure Correa 8/280, 7/250, 6/220, etc.

1 minute ago, deward said:

Could be, especially if they start approaching the luxury tax threshold

Yea that’s a good point. Hadnt considered the luxury tax.

Of course, they have also not been the best at drafting and developing. Luxury tax shouldn’t come into play if you do things correctly. 

4 minutes ago, deward said:

In the meantime, Dombrowski will be chasing his third WS title, having taken every franchise he's ever run to the WS at least once. I imagine that he completely understands what he's doing here.

Doesn't change the fact that he'll be long gone before the contract is over.    He's been successful, no doubt.   He's managed to be affiliated with a lot of high spending teams and high profile owners but he's delivered winners.   

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea that’s a good point. Hadnt considered the luxury tax.

Of course, they have also not been the best at drafting and developing. Luxury tax shouldn’t come into play if you do things correctly. 

Dombrowski doesn't do things cheap. He builds winners, but they're never cheap.

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

If I was commissioner for a day, with Clubs playing the high years low AAV games when it is reasonably likely they won't play the player a year or three at the end, I'd be tempted to try and invent a rule like they can't get back the 40-man roster spot until the contract is over.

The structure will simply save them ~$5-10mm/year while Realmuto, Nola and Wheeler are still there and near their peaks.

Orioles with no tax thresholds in sight for four or five horizons could lean the other way and structure Correa 8/280, 7/250, 6/220, etc.

It's no worse (nor more clever) than deferred money contracts. In this case, they have the option to play the player even if that's not their primary intention. IMO $30M for zero production is enough punishment. 

Well, the Phillies are not afraid to spend.  I'll give them that.  They need another starter, too.  Wouldn't be shocked to see them give Rodon a 6/180.  

Orioles were never players at these prices, which is a good thing.  Only deal so far I'd have liked for Baltimore is Verlander and he wasn't coming here.

Edited by Ripken

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Well, the Phillies are not afraid to spend.  I'll give them that.  They need another starter, too.  Wouldn't be shocked to see them give Rodon a 6/180.  

Orioles were never players at these prices, which is a good thing.  Only deal so far I'd have like for Baltimore is Verlander and he wasn't coming here.

+1, and I don't even like the Verlander deal. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, deward said:

Dombrowski doesn't do things cheap. He builds winners, but they're never cheap.

You have to work for owners who are willing to do that. Wayne Huizenga did it, won a WS and then blew the team up. 

He has had a great career but I would also say he has been fortunate.