“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s no connection between how much the Mets spend and revenue sharing.  It’s how much revenue they earn that is relevant.  

Edit: I guess you are talking about luxury tax payments.   I think that’s technically a separate bucket, but I get your point now.  

It's more of a trough than a bucket.  🤣

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Why should we believe them? After the offseason talk about “lifting off” and then for them to go back on it and try to “reclarify”; like they didn’t know what they were saying in the first place or how it would be heard by fans and the media.

By the way, in one of the interviews Elias did about lifting off, Chris “Mad Dog” Russo from MLB network asked him about increasing spending  and adding free agents, and Elias agreed that would happen.

At this point, for me personally they have lost any credibility to make believable promises. I will judge the O’s and make future purchasing decisions on their actions only.

I totes believe them.

I expect some one for you and two for me action to start any day now.

On 12/10/2022 at 12:07 AM, deward said:

I don't expect conditions to change in any foreseeable future winter

Why? This offseason has seen far bigger contracts than any in the past. You think it will require deals that go into the late-30s of players from this point forward, all the time? Or is everything thrown off by the Mets spending like mad because they have a new owner? 

44 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Why? This offseason has seen far bigger contracts than any in the past. You think it will require deals that go into the late-30s of players from this point forward, all the time? Or is everything thrown off by the Mets spending like mad because they have a new owner? 

I think salaries have stagnated a bit over the last 8-9 years, and new TV money in the game and a new labor contract, we were due to see some increase in the big contracts.   

• Upvote 1

Previously, owners played by the spirit of the payroll tax.  Now (if they have the resources) they are playing to the rules and just writing the checks to win.  They have counted the cost and are fine paying extra toward the kitty if it increases their playoff odds.

Some teams have deeper pockets no matter how much we are comfortable bidding.

13 hours ago, crawjo said:

For star free agents? Yes, absolutely. Free agent values might stabilize for the top tier, until another owner is ready to set a new precedent, but it will never go backwards. Or, at least, there's no precedent for for that to happen that I can recall. When I was a kid, I remember everyone losing their minds over the first $30 million contract (total value, not AAV) and saying how bad for the game that was. Now, some guys get more than that a year. 

23 minutes ago, deward said:

For star free agents? Yes, absolutely. Free agent values might stabilize for the top tier, until another owner is ready to set a new precedent, but it will never go backwards. Or, at least, there's no precedent for for that to happen that I can recall. When I was a kid, I remember everyone losing their minds over the first $30 million contract (total value, not AAV) and saying how bad for the game that was. Now, some guys get more than that a year. 

I still remember that in 1966 Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale pulled a “double holdout” that resulted in them getting the princely sums of $135 k and $105 k, respectively.   Koufax went on to win 27 games that season, or $5,000 per win.   

At this point, my best possible off season includes signing Bassitt for 3 years; trading for Lopez with 2 years of control; to go with Gibson’s 1 year contract.  Then you have 6 years of team control for Rodriquez and Hall.  Not to mention Means through ‘24; Bradish through ‘26; and even Kremer through ‘27.