Orioles 2022 #21 Prospect Braylin Tavera - CF

Tony-OH

Braylin Tavera
Pos: CF
Bats: R
Throws: R
Age (as of Jun 30th) : 17
2022 Level: DSL

Bio: Signed by the Orioles during last year’s J2 signing period for the highest bonus ever given to a Latin American player at $1.7 million, this talented young player had a solid first season in the Dominican Summer League. As a 17-year old, this 6-2, 175 pound center fielder really had three separate streaks. He started off the season hot, slashing .298/.421/.468/.889 with both of his home runs, 10 BBs and 19 Ks in 57 PAs over the first 15 games. He then slashed .087/.263/.087/.350, which included an 0-for-26 streak, with no extra base hits, 9 walks and 17 strikeouts, over his next 17 PAs and 14 games. After settling in and making some adjustments, he slashed .303/.489/.349/.837 with 20 BBs and 14 Ks over his last 90 PAs and 24 games.

The 17-year old’s 19.5% BB rate was top in the system and his wOBA (.385) was 5th among qualifiers. He does however have some swing and miss in his game (26.8% swinging strike rate and 25.4% K rate), is a bit too pull happy (51.6%) and hits too many balls on the ground (48.9%), but his ability to get on base and work counts at a young age is impressive. Tavera projects to have a above average power even though he was unable to get to it much during his first professional campaign.

He’s considered a good defensive outfielder with a solid arm who should be able to stick in center field in the near term, but time will tell whether he has the speed and instincts to stick there long term.

He should start next season in the Florida Complex League and has a nice upside but a very low floor.

• Upvote 3

Lots of useful info about Tavera here.  Certainly he did enough in his first season to show he deserves to be on the prospect radar without even considering the bonus he received.   He’s obviously got a few rough spots, but that’s why you have a player development system, to work those things out.   I’m excited to see how he handles the FCL.

It's impossible to (fairly) nitpick who's ranked where at this point. The depth is such that a lot of guys can make a case. In the end, you have risk and upside. This kid has a lot of both. Just like Carter Young (though very different profiles of course). 

My only frustration is we're liable to see this kid with a very similar write-up next year. It's similar to Basallo. I can't wait until they get to full season ball and really start to show what they're made of. 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

It's impossible to (fairly) nitpick who's ranked where at this point. The depth is such that a lot of guys can make a case. In the end, you have risk and upside. This kid has a lot of both. Just like Carter Young (though very different profiles of course). 

My only frustration is we're liable to see this kid with a very similar write-up next year. It's similar to Basallo. I can't wait until they get to full season ball and really start to show what they're made of. 

It really is hard to get a great feel for these guys in the DSL because you don't know how they will play once they get t full season ball. Some of them will play in the cold or see good offspeed pitches for the first times in their lives, and we never really know how that will affect them.

The good news is we're seeing excellent plate discipline by Tavera, which is a great base to start from. I'm not too worried about the power at his age and experience, but obviously you'd like to see him start to impact the ball a little more next year in the FCL.

I really wish they would make the FCL a full season league since there is no more Rookie+ leagues. At least these guys would get in 400-500 PAs. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, LookinUp said:

Totally agree re: the bb% and the lack of games/PAs. I really wish these guys were more visible and getting more reps in these leagues.

I think the reason the DSL and FCL seasons are so short is that teams think their youngest players’ time is best spent working on skills in non-game settings.   

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think it's just about money.

Not so sure about that at this point.  The players stay in Florida for extended spring training anyway, so they’re already incurring the costs of running the facilities.  It used to be that teams didn’t pay the players anything but meal money until the formal games started, but that practice pretty much stopped as of last year, except for a handful of teams.   The Orioles for example do pay their players during extended spring training.   

As I posted in the minors thread, Tavera's K rates were around 30% his first two months but in August he was able to walk 14 times and strike out only 7 times in about 60 AB's.   Now, he didn't hit for much power in August (2 doubles) but I think it's a great sign that he seems to have made some adjustments towards the end of the season.