Elias quote potentially tells us a lot

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

What do Elisa comments about seeing playing time for a lefthanded hitter in RF at home, LF on the road and at DH say about Kyle Stowers?

I think it says more about Hays.  I wouldn’t go into the season with Hays as a starter. He can be your 4th or 5th OFer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

What do Elisa comments about seeing playing time for a lefthanded hitter in RF at home, LF on the road and at DH say about Kyle Stowers?

Those are Santanders positions mostly.   He plays RF at home and depending on the park (Fenway) plays LF on the road.

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The full quote was that Urias projects to play alot of 2B WITH OUR CURRENT ROSTER CONSTRUCTION. It's another non-speak speak. The roster construction can change tomorrow. His words basically mean nothing. Just like the liftoff comment

And this is true. However, the whole point is that as the roster is constructed, he doesn’t see the AL 3rd base GGer playing 3rd base in 2023.

That tells us a lot more stuff.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And this is true. However, the whole point is that as the roster is constructed, he doesn’t see the AL 3rd base GGer playing 3rd base in 2023.

That tells us a lot more stuff.

I think if there are no changes, we have Mateo at SS, Gunnar at 3B and Urias seeing alot of time at 2B, like he said.

https://video.masnsports.com/video/Mike Elias: Orioles "very aggressive" in searching for free agent pitchers/3493

Not sure if anyone posted this, I had not seen it. I know all of us have read the reporters quotes from last night. Here is the actual video. I’m getting ready to watch it myself. See if I can pick up on anything or take a wild guess….

2 hours ago, tabletop said:

I think the problem is that last years team is built a lot more like a Tampa Bay team in that there's a big focus on run prevention. They are now at a point where the prospects are ready and now they have three glove first players in the lineup at SS, 3B, and LF. Nobody else is paying for glove first players even though their WAR's are nice. They're more the type of guys that are a 2nd or 3rd person in a trade. Nobody is giving up a meaningful prospect or current major league contributor for Mateo, Urias, or Hays. If the O's needed a SS, 3B, or LF would you be ok with them trading a top 10 prospect for them?

Urias has a career 109 OPS+.   Hays is at 104.   It’s not like these guys are terrible offensive players.   They’re above league average.   Mateo, admittedly, is the very definition of “glove first.”   

If other teams wouldn’t trade a good prospect for a major leaguer with 2-3 years of team control who is producing at a 2 - 3.5 WAR level in a spot where they have a big hole, that’s their problem.   Those players are not that easy to find.   

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Westburg could be at third and Gunnar at SS..Mateo to UTI player.

I don’t buy that Westburg doesn’t have an arm equal to Urias and can’t handle the throws to third.

Westburg does have a similar arm as Urias, but Westburg has a little longer arm action and struggles with throws going away from first base making those plays down the line something he won't be very good at often. He is also does not throw all that well on the run.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Westburg does have a similar arm as Urias, but Westburg has a little longer arm action and struggles with throws going away from first base making those plays down the line something he won't be very good at often. He is also does not throw all that well on the run.

Yea but more reps, more coaching, etc..maybe he can improve on this stuff. I wouldn’t close the door on it. He is a good athlete, so he should be able to make adjustments and get better.

28 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

https://video.masnsports.com/video/Mike Elias: Orioles "very aggressive" in searching for free agent pitchers/3493

Not sure if anyone posted this, I had not seen it. I know all of us have read the reporters quotes from last night. Here is the actual video. I’m getting ready to watch it myself. See if I can pick up on anything or take a wild guess….

Gibson - "baseball card stats" - heard a little tone there defending his guy.   Kind of like....some of you guys still care about ERA, heh.

Adjusting for Elias moderation, "little bit of a tilt towards LHP" for me might be heard as a post like "OMG we're gonna get Rodon!!!"     It'll be interesting to see how Bassitt/Eovaldi types v. Manaea/Heaney plays out from here.     If Heaney wants to do the Tyler Anderson and Sell High off his LAD year, I believe Elias would strongly prefer Manaea if Manaea would take low years.

Some ear reddening as it went along - hope he didn't hit any allergens in a fish taco.

I don't know the gaggle voices by heart, but would guess the super precise question near the end the gist of which was basically "are you going to tell Kyle Gibson what to do with all his dumb pitches" was from David Laurila.

Lottery tonight, Rule 5 tomorrow - I'm guessing next MLB transaction for BAL won't be until after those, but after Judge figure some of the options between Bassitt/Senga all the way down to say Jose Quintana go fast.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Urias has a career 109 OPS+.   Hays is at 104.   It’s not like these guys are terrible offensive players.   They’re above league average.   Mateo, admittedly, is the very definition of “glove first.”   

If other teams wouldn’t trade a good prospect for a major leaguer with 2-3 years of team control who is producing at a 2 - 3.5 WAR level in a spot where they have a big hole, that’s their problem.   Those players are not that easy to find.   

For me they are bottom of the order hitters. They are the type of guys I feel like I've seen on Tampa, Milwaukee, Cleveland, etc. for the last few years and those teams always seem to win but never have enough to win it all. I have a hard time believing teams are going to trade impact prospects or proven major leaguers for that. Hopefully other teams view them like you do.

I may not be adding much. I know all Elias said was reported but here is what I took out of the presser. 

-I thought Elias was fairly lukewarm on adding another pitcher early on-have to see- something along those lines but it is clear they want to do that as it went on. 

-It does look like he would like a LH SP but it does not sound like it is a must. Park benefits a LH but also mentioned the lack of LHP available. I think it’s about adding someone they want but a lefty would be nice. Does not have to be.

-Means looks good. Summer return is belief. 

-Relief pitcher not a priority right now. They do want to add a veteran. Also have SP options who can wind up being relievers. Something later on in winter I assume. 

-SP market is hot. Can always change but that is why priority is there now. Discussed his offers that had been reported. Zoom calls etc. 

-Was very clear about adding a LH bat. Plain as day. Definite to me it will happen.

-Lewis and Cordero are depth moves. He mentioned them around time he was discussing LH bats. 

-Changing park and with new pitching dept, analytics etc Orioles are now a place pitchers on one year deals are attracted to. Was not that way before. Gibson wanted to be here. Had 6 pitches. Sequencing they think they can help. Gibson thought he had some bad luck last year.   

-Trades are possible but hard to do. Odds against it

-Loves athleticism of position players, up the middle etc. 

At end of day they will add a LH bat and another SP. Who remains to be seen. Doesn’t sound like a trade will happen as of now. Obviously that can change. Wait on a relief arm, nobody major I would think. 

I still think Bellinger makes sense. He mentioned about having a LH backup to Ryan. Talked about 4 GG caliber defenders. Mentioned Urias, Mateo, Adley and Cedric. 

Edited by eddie83

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The full quote was that Urias projects to play alot of 2B WITH OUR CURRENT ROSTER CONSTRUCTION. It's another non-speak speak. The roster construction can change tomorrow. His words basically mean nothing. Just like the liftoff comment

I hadn't seen that.   That's a lot different to me.   Adding in the "with our current roster construction" reading between the lines suggest to me that Urias is odd man out.   If he stays, we're going to move him around (getting most reps at 2B) but he might not stay.   Elias is not going to trade Urias just to trade him but I think he's definitely on the block.   I think Elias believes in Westburg and/or Ortiz and would love to have one of them at 2B.    If he can't find a deal for Urias, sure Urias is going to get a lot of time at 2B but the fact that Elias didn't just say "Urias would be our 2B with our current roster construction" says a lot to me.

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Gibson - "baseball card stats" - heard a little tone there defending his guy.   Kind of like....some of you guys still care about ERA, heh.

Adjusting for Elias moderation, "little bit of a tilt towards LHP" for me might be heard as a post like "OMG we're gonna get Rodon!!!"     It'll be interesting to see how Bassitt/Eovaldi types v. Manaea/Heaney plays out from here.     If Heaney wants to do the Tyler Anderson and Sell High off his LAD year, I believe Elias would strongly prefer Manaea if Manaea would take low years.

Some ear reddening as it went along - hope he didn't hit any allergens in a fish taco.

I don't know the gaggle voices by heart, but would guess the super precise question near the end the gist of which was basically "are you going to tell Kyle Gibson what to do with all his dumb pitches" was from David Laurila.

Lottery tonight, Rule 5 tomorrow - I'm guessing next MLB transaction for BAL won't be until after those, but after Judge figure some of the options between Bassitt/Senga all the way down to say Jose Quintana go fast.

SP market is clear where action is at. I’m hoping a bunch of moves again today. 

I meant to say this. My thought he may make a significant change or 2 to the everyday position players does not look to be happening. Just seems to be about adding a LH bat.