Connolly: Don’t see the Os going beyond 2-3 years

Sports Guy

Just now, Aristotelian said:

FA players are like buying a new car, they start out at market value and depreciate from there. You've got a depreciating asset on one side versus a liability on the other, but as the player declines all you have is the liability. 

Everything that you said is true. But it is the cost of doing business in baseball.

For all those advocating for this approach claiming we are copying and pasting the Astros approach, I ask you this: What impact do you think this will have on the fanbase and on the Orioles standing in the community? 

I'm just thinking if I as a "diehard" am reacting this way, I wonder how those who already felt alienated by the past or unwilling to trust the Orioles to do the right thing and their fandom has died or waned or for those young people who will only embrace supporting things that are relevant and/or successful; I wonder how this type of garbage helps the organization reconnect with more fans?

I wonder if all of the goodwill that was built back and regained has been lost by this unforced error? Whether it is ownership (which I am almost certain it is) or whether it's Elias who decided to punt on improving the team at the cost of loosing no current talent; the results I am afraid will not be good.

The Orioles can't continue to treat their fanbase this way. It's not a model for longterm viability. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

But he also said this

He is all over the place.

Honestly, I had pretty high praise for him prior to these past few days. The results of these winter meetings and his quotes here definitely take a little of the shine off for me

23 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Yeah you I right I don’t. “Everyone take all the good players that can help you win and make a difference. As for me I will take the leftovers and misfits”.

If that’s his approach that makes out ownership even worse for having hired someone with that type philosophy.

It is hard for me to understand why Elias would want to go super cheap. Does he get the leftover profits if he doesn’t spend on players?

Winning at Moneyball is the ultimate accomplishment for a GM. If he pulls it off he is legendary. If he fails, he had his hands tied while the other guys merely bought their championships. He may not get a kickback but I am sure is getting positive reinforcement from ownership and making a name for himself in the business.

I did have my hopes up for a pivot, if not a 180. But if he is taking his bearings from Tampa there may never be a pivot. Then again, Tampa is the upside case that this approach can work. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

But he also said this

He is all over the place.

He is being honest. I’ll give him that. 

Took some guts to say it. Don’t think it was a good PR move.  

If he makes some legit moves this will blow over. 

If I was in the media I ask Hyde what he thinks about this?

Just now, eddie83 said:

He is being honest. I’ll give him that. 

Took some guts to say it. Don’t think it was a good PR move.  

If he makes some legit moves this will blow over. 

If I was in the media I ask Hyde what he thinks about this?

I don't think it did.

Would take guts to say it in New York.

In Baltimore?

18 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Can’t wait to hear the response to this one. 

I'm reading Elias' quotes and can't help but think this guy just needs to be quiet. ( I wanted to say shut-up. )

This is embarrassing.

Can you imagine the Yankees or Red Sox GM saying these things.

If Brian Cashman ever said these things he'd be eaten for lunch.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He might be right but it begs the question, what is he basing this theory on?

Is he saying we didn’t offer more than 3 years to any FA or just that he doesn’t see us offering more than 3 years to the remaining FA.  I think when a reporter puts something like this out there he owes it to his readers how much is based on inside knowledge and how much is speculation on his part.   It sounds like he knows something but he may not know anything.

I think he has just seen most of the 3+ year players come off the board. By process of elimination there are very few of those players left now and most of the ones that may have been a good fit are gone.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

What would cause anybody to actually believe that these are competitive offers? Like everyone else is signing, but the unsigned don't want to sign? Come on! We know the real reason they haven't accepted these "offers" is because they are low ball. The Orioles are going right back to being a laughing stock.

Do you guys think the players on the team don't see this especially after how they operated in the middle of a playoff race last season and think, "as soon as I can, I'm gone"? Why would good players want to be here and have to deal with a non-competitive management and ownership?