Orioles pursuing Wacha?

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, theobird said:

I would like a Wacha signing, said it earlier in the off-season. He would be great depth for the rotation, and when he’s healthy he’s quite good. That said, I bet we won’t sign him. 

At this point I don’t know what to think but I think they will. They will definitely get someone. Morosi isn’t usually someone to just throw stuff out there. 

22 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I admit. I’m at the point where I just want them to sign an arm and be done with it.

Then we can focus on complaining about what bat they add.  

I would like to think they decided, let’s just go with cheaper pitchers and get a better hitter.  Use our resources that way.

But no, that isn’t likely.

I don’t know if Wacha is good signing or not all we can do is look at normal data ERA, War, and normal stats most people can kinda understand.  However I have learned with Elias and his analytical group they don’t care about those things.  They are looking at data we don’t understand or even have access too.  If him and his group think they see something good or things they can do to make small change but get results I will back them based on the results I have seen in the last year or so from pitchers that were much worse then guys like Wacha and now are key guys in our pitching staff.   

He pitched well in a limited number of innings last year, but his peripherals suggest that a regression is coming.   In other words, he'll fit right in with this staff.  

Maybe Elias' idea is that we should have 7 interchangeable pretty good starters, with two of them either in long relief or on the DL at any one time.  Nobody will wind up throwing too many innings and we'll have enough depth that we can make it through the season without ever having to have guys like Baumann making emergency starts.   I don't think you can win in the postseason that way but maybe it's a path to staying in contention through the season.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I don’t know if Wacha is good signing or not all we can do is look at normal data ERA, War, and normal stats most people can kinda understand.  However I have learned with Elias and his analytical group they don’t care about those things.  They are looking at data we don’t understand or even have access too.  If him and his group think they see something good or things they can do to make small change but get results I will back them based on the results I have seen in the last year or so from pitchers that were much worse then guys like Wacha and now are key guys in our pitching staff.   

I think the relevant data they are looking at for this guy is more financial in nature than analytic…

• Upvote 1

I would like signing Wacha if it happens.  Believe it when I see it.   I think Holt will get the best out of him.

One of 11 pitchers that could start for the O's in 2023.   Kremer, Bradish, Grayson, Gibson, Wacha, Wells, Voth, Means, Hall, Watkins, and Baumann.

Pushes Wells and Voth to the pen which makes it stronger.   Hall, Watkins and Baumann to begin the season in the AAA rotation.

Both Gibson and Wacha can be traded in July if Means and Hall are ready to join the rotation.

Wacha likely to spend some time on the IL.  23 starts and 125 innings would be normal for him over a full season.  But some of those probably come after he is traded.

All in all he adds good depth to the pitching staff if he is signed.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Wacha is actually worse than Gibson because he has a poor health history and not many IP.

Id probably rather have Lyles to be honest…similar production but at least he’s reliable.

He can be counted on 120-130 . He’s done that in the last 3 noncovid years.