Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

47 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

MASN's young PR guys have put out their reaction piece - the one idea they mentioned I haven't seen covered here yet is maybe Frazier's corner OF flex pushes Santander to DH.     It doesn't seem likely that a slow middle infielder sliding down the defensive spectrum would immediately outfield Santander but maybe.     Who is the priority play between Urias and Westburg then for 2B?

Bench looks like Stowers, McKenna, Urias/Westburg loser, catcher, with none of Franchy, Mazara, Daz, Lewin, etc. making team.

They also mentioned Frazier platoon splits - as young man he's mostly had glove to stay in lineup even with platoon disadvantage.    To any who have wanted Hays downsized to Roenicke-type, Frazier might serve as a means to that end.

Frazier career v. RHP - 279/343/405 in 2346 PA

Hays career v. RHP - 252/306/421 in 938 PA

Trivia - Frazier and Westburg both Mississippi St.

I wonder if it's the 2 percentile EV, 3 percentile barrel rate, -2.5 ft/sec vs average, the .612 OPS or 8th percentile WOBA that makes Elias think he should be an everyday outfielder? 

7 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'd be more inclined to accept this as an explanation if it didn't impede the development of players that should be part of the sorting.

Felt that same way about Odor last year.

Sometimes I think Elias tries to be a little too cute with the analytics, and the reclamation projects.

It's one thing to carry and stash a Rule 5 guy with the chance of getting something for nothing.. but it's something quite different to pay 8 million to carry a guy who isn't part of your future and impedes someone who could be.

Sometimes I think the success of Urias/Mateo have created an ego that drove the acquisition of Odor, Brett Phillips, and now Frazier.

Enough Project Guys already...  you have good players ready to graduate... play 'em

I think you are reading too much into it.

So are all of Stowers, Cowser, Westburg plus Adley and Gunnar going to be playing well and everyday next July? 

Just now, Frobby said:

I agree.  It’s pretty much the going rate for an average 2B.  It just depends if you think he’s below average based on last year.  

Average or below average...  my question is more simply did they already have better options in house?

31 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

No, I don’t think he’s worth 8 mil. I didn’t think Lyles was worth 7 mil or whatever we paid him last year but I was proven wrong.

I agree with your assessment of a move “just to get a left hander.” That’s pretty much what I said.

You are acting as if I was defending the move when all I was disagreeing with from your initial take, was that Elias is trying to sabotage the organization and get fired. 

Nah, I was using your post to throw more information out there why this is a headscratchingly dumb move.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't assume it.

Let's go as simple as possible, rWAR for last season.

Odor- -.4

Lyles- 1.0

Gibson- .7

Frazier- .9

I'm seeing 1.6 on one side and .6 on the other.

Now that's pretty meaningless but no, I wouldn't just assume a 3 game improvement.

Okay, thanks. I agree that's a good thumbnail calculation and seems about right. Thus confirming: "yawn." :)

1 minute ago, owknows said:

Average or below average...  my question is more simply did they already have better options in house?

Frazier has been worth around 2 WAR in 4 of the last 5 seasons and even last year was worth 1 WAR in the worst year of his career. Who in the system can you reasonably expect to come up and produce 2 WAR that also has the versatility to play anywhere?

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If he has an OPS+ of 58 in mid July is he playing everyday? 

I said earlier the plan has to be to play him a lot. But if he is not performing they won’t keep running him out there. 

Odor did, for a team that was contending despite their GM saying they weren’t going to win a WC. Odor played way too much, until he got hurt.