Eric Hosmer?

jrobb21613

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m sure if we signed him, people would justify it and be all excited about it.

Honestly, is anybody “all excited” by the Gibson or Frazier moves?   There’s a difference between being excited about these moves and not thinking they’re the worst moves ever made in the history of MLB.

• Upvote 2

You know, I thought Hosmer had a good defensive reputation but after looking at some of the Advanced Fielding stats on Fangraphs, it looks like even Mountcastle is better. 

If he’s not better defensively and he’s not better offensively and the only thing he brings to the table is that he hits from the left then that’s not really someone that I feel like is an actual asset in any way. I hope this doesn’t happen 

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I don't think competing in 2023 is a priority for the organization but I don't think we're actively tanking anymore either, and swapping Mountcastle out for Hosmer would be a tanking type of move.

Really? 1.1 WAR vs 1.3,  .334 OBP vs .305, .716 OPS vs .729. It seems their pretty similar. Hosmer gets on base more and Mountcastle has a bit more power. 

42 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Really? 1.1 WAR vs 1.3,  .334 OBP vs .305, .716 OPS vs .729. It seems their pretty similar. Hosmer gets on base more and Mountcastle has a bit more power. 

Hosmer is not well-liked around the league as a teammate. He is a ground ball hitter, not exactly what the front office would want. In 2022, LD% was 18, GB% was 57 and FB% was 25, according to FanGraphs. The EV is down several MPH. The once strong defense is pretty bad. He looks really apathetic out there and he has been very resistant to any swing change designed to lift the ball more. He was also .6 fWar last year. 

If Elias signs him, it would be the single most questionable move that he has made to date for me. I cannot defend it. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/eric-hosmer/3516/stats?position=1B

Edited by Jammer7

49 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Hosmer is not well-liked around the league as a teammate. He is a ground ball hitter, not exactly what the front office would want. In 2022, LD% was 18, GB% was 57 and FB% was 25, according to FanGraphs. The EV is down several MPH. The once strong defense is pretty bad. He looks really apathetic out there and he has been very resistant to any swing change designed to lift the ball more. He was also .6 fWar last year. 

If Elias signs him, it would be the single most questionable move that he has made to date for me. I cannot defend it. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/eric-hosmer/3516/stats?position=1B

Can you defend Frazier?