Roch forgets about Maverick Handley

wildcard

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt that.  Catchers in the system that make it to AA are invited to camp even if they do not get promoted.   When there are twenty some pitchers in camp someone has to catch them.

I will take the bet that Handley is in camp.

I think you missed what I was trying to convey. Handley may very well be worthy of a ST invite, and just may be in camp. My point was that Roch simply may not think so. 

And at first glance, no one pushed back on Roch in the comments either. 

I suspect Handley is an ST invitee too.  I'm less certain about AAA only because I think they'll want to maximize PAs for each of them.  Kolozsvary is the new guy, Bemboom is the old known guy.  Handley is the guy who just popped and IMO has more to define offensively.  They all look very similar offensively (hollow OBP at lower levels) and none look like a true 'priority play'.  But Handley has the best HR season and maybe the highest offensive upside.

I wouldn't be upset if they move on from Bemboom but no clue what he brings to the pitching staff (or even coaching staff for that matter).  I can see a veteran with MLB experience being a value-add with AAA pitchers.  

12 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I think you missed what I was trying to convey. Handley may very well be worthy of a ST invite, and just may be in camp. My point was that Roch simply may not think so. 

And at first glance, no one pushed back on Roch in the comments either. 

The OH is not Roch's guys.

Handley is a 2019 draftee by Elias.

Here is what Tony has to say about him:

33. Maverick Handley – C (AA): Finally got out of Aberdeen and put up career highs hitting, slashing .236/.352/.417/.769 in 308 PAs in Bowie. Considered a plus defender behind the plate, his caught stealing percentage went down to 29% and he committed a career high seven passed balls in his 68 games behind the plate. Has a backup catcher ceiling and should start the year in Norfolk (AAA) next year.

I forgot to give my wife a birthday card one year. The next year I gave her two cards on her birthday make up for it. 

I didn’t forget her birthday just the card. I doubt Roch forgot about Handley. 

Let it go. Let it go.  

Edited by eddie83

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I forgot to give my wife a birthday card one year. The next year I gave her two cards on her birthday make up for it. 

I didn’t forget her birthday just the card. I doubt Roch forgot about Handley. 

Let it go. Let it go.  

Happy wife, happy life.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bro, you're reaching here.  

I don't consider Handley to AAA  this coming season a reach at all.  If he can duplicate his AA offensive stats he will make it to the majors as a backup catcher. 

769 OPS is hard to find for a good defensive  back up catcher.

Edited by wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't consider Handley to AAA  this coming season a reach at all.  If he can duplicate his AA offensive stats he will make it to the majors as a backup catcher. 

You are certainly welcome to think whatever you want of O's prospects and what level they 'should' be at.  The fact is that Handley is currently not at AAA at the moment so that is the most logical explanation for why Roch didn't bring him up before.   Saying he 'forgot about him' is unfair.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't consider Handley to AAA  this coming season a reach at all.  If he can duplicate his AA offensive stats he will make it to the major as a backup catcher. 

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.   Roch’s article was about the battles in camp for a major league job.  Handley is not a candidate for one.  Roch mentioned in passing the catchers listed on the AAA roster.  Handley isn’t on the AAA roster.   I don’t think Roch forgot Handley exists, or was implying anything about Handley’s chances to get a promotion to AAA, either at the start of the year or later.   There’s certainly no hurry, since McCann is signed for two years.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Aglets said:

You are certainly welcome to think whatever you want of O's prospects and what level they 'should' be at.  The fact is that Handley is currently not at AAA at the moment so that is the most logical explanation for why Roch didn't bring him up before.   Saying he 'forgot about him' is unfair.

It might be wrong because its just my opinion.  But there is nothing unfair about it.