Not an April Fools Joke - Lewin Diaz Back, O'Hearn DFA

Yardball85

Looks like the Orioles are trying to pick up a number of backup 1B options without having them on the 40-man. Diaz bouncing around reminds me a lot of the Hanser Alberto transitions during the 2018-2019 offseason. I expect Diaz to be DFA'ed again this offseason with Elias and company hoping he makes it through waivers this time around. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

Looks like the Orioles are trying to pick up a number of backup 1B options without having them on the 40-man. Diaz bouncing around reminds me a lot of the Hanser Alberto transitions during the 2018-2019 offseason. I expect Diaz to be DFA'ed again this offseason with Elias and company hoping he makes it through waivers this time around. 

Maybe this means the Orioles will still try to acquire a decent left-handed bat (or any other-handed bat) to upgrade the offense?

Good points btw regarding the 40 and stashing first baseman in AAA. 

Just now, interloper said:

Care to revisit some of your takes from the other thread? :D

I'm not right very often, so I'm going to rub this one in for awhile. 

Why, I've been very consistent with my take on this offseason. Why would I want to revisit my other takes? 

He's been operating in the trashdump and Dollar General store all winter, but actually bought a diamond ring from Wallmart in Frazier.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why, I've been very consistent with my take on this offseason. Why would I want to revisit my other takes? 

He's been operating in the trashdump and Dollar General store all winter, but actually bought a diamond ring from Wallmart in Frazier.

No no no, you don't get to squirm your way out of this one by just calling it a dumpster move. LOL. Let's go to the video tape!

Elias is not acquiring a $1.4 million player to head to AAA to be depth. He paid Odor the minimum and played him all year at 2B despite being sub replacement level. I 100% agree he SHOULD not make the team unless there's an injury, but I think Elias has decided this guy can help his team.

And again, this organization does not sign $1.4 million player to be depth in AAA.  

Incorrect.

Like I said, it was always a depth move, something that happens regardless of how good or bad your off-season is going. It's just AAA depth, like Diaz and the rest of these guys. It was never anything to get critical about because it's a depth move. It was never a move meant to be thought of like a ML signing for the 26-man roster. I have no idea why everyone thought that. 

And we don't even know if we pay that salary if he clears waivers. 

Sure man, sure. You keep the faith. I'm done talking sense to you guys. You guys are too far now. Enjoy the site.

Okey dokey!

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

No no no, you don't get to squirm your way out of this one by just calling it a dumpster move. LOL. Let's go to the video tape!

Incorrect.

Like I said, it was always a depth move, something that happens regardless of how good or bad your off-season is going. It's just AAA depth, like Diaz and the rest of these guys. It was never anything to get critical about because it's a depth move. It was never a move meant to be thought of like a ML signing for the 26-man roster. I have no idea why everyone thought that. 

And we don't even know if we pay that salary if he clears waivers. 

Okey dokey!

What the heck are you talking about? I was right, they are not going to have a $1.4 million player in AAA. They DFA'd him before having to pay him. What I said was true. One-year contracts are not guaranteed until opening day unless that was changed in the last bargaining agreement. 

How is that hard to understand? I'm not squirming out of anything.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What the heck are you talking about? I was right, they are not going to have a $1.4 million player in AAA. They DFA'd him before having to pay him. What I said was true. One-year contracts are not guaranteed until opening day unless that was changed in the last bargaining agreement. 

How is that hard to understand? I'm not squirming out of anything.

That's a pretty good technicality so I'll allow it. But you clearly were saying that because we wouldn't pay him to be in AAA, that it meant, like Odor (an example you used a couple times), he was destined for the 26-man roster. You were viewing him as an Odor type acquisition, when all along like I said he was a Lewin Diaz type. 

Edited by interloper