Dan Connelly is letting me down

wildcard

I am paying a dollar a month to read what Connelly has to say and I think I am over paying.  Sometimes there is some Rosenthal or others but most of the O's content comes from Connelly.   And quite frankly it seems lazy.

His recent article is titled "Orioles offseason recap:  Moves they've made and what they still are missing"     I am fine with his recap of the moves made and the players that are not on the team anymore.   But what they're still missing is infuriating to me.

The O's are a development organization.  A large part of their 31 game jump last season was from improving players pitching, defense and hitting.  So how can he write an article about what they are missing without talking about the young players that are available to the team in 2023.

There is no mention of a full year of Adley or Gunnar.  No Grayson, Hall, Westburg, Ortiz, or Stowers.  Instead he says  "Since the organization has plenty of depth now, especially with the minor league position players, dealing for a coveted starting pitcher may still occur.  That is probably the Orioles last hope of a legitimately improved roster for 2023."

That is pure BS in my opinion.  Grayson can't improve this team?  Gunnar playing 6 months instead of one can't help this team?  Adley playing a full season instead on 3/4 of a season can't help? Same with  Westburg, Stowers, Ortiz,  and Hall.

I want my money back.

https://theathletic.com/4058040/2023/01/05/orioles-offseason-recap/

Edited by wildcard

Connolly is fine.  The offseason is slow.  And it's been boring.  And it's bad.  

Not everyone has the capacity to start threads on a daily basis such as you do, @wildcard I mean, a thread bashing Dan Connolly is kind of like taking whoever makes the apple pies at your local McDonald's to task because the filling isn't warm enough.  It's probably not even that, it would be more like writing a review bashing the guy who wrote a review that didn't like the apple pies at your local McDonald's because you disagreed on the appropriateness of the filling temperature.

You wrote:  

There is no mention of a full year of Adley or Gunnar.  No Grayson, Hall, Westburg, Ortiz, or Stowers. 

Connolly wrote:  

Still, the Orioles took a monumental step forward in 2022 and the hope is that the established core will keep getting better, with a few tweaks here and there.

If I'm a relatively informed Orioles fan, I can assume that it means Adley and Gunnar.  And that G-Rod, Hall, Westburg, Ortiz or Stowers will probably play roles on this team moving forward.  But this article isn't about the whole roster, this article is about moves that were made and not made so far.  

Ugh, now I have to read this whole thing to see what it's all about....

I mean, here's the intro to his article, it kind of tells you what it's going to be about:

Heading into this offseason after a 31-win turnaround in 2022, there certainly was some optimism surrounding the Orioles’ plans. The club had a few obvious holes — particularly two atop the rotation and a power bat in the middle of the lineup — and national pundits were attaching the Orioles to nearly every sexy free agent on the market.

Those marriages didn’t come to fruition, however. Most didn’t have a first date.

Instead, the Orioles opted for cheaper, one-year contracts for free agents who should be upgrades, but don’t appear to have significantly improved this roster in the brutal American League East.

Like, it doesn't have to mention Adley or Gunnar because it's strictly about -like the title says- moves that were made and what they're still missing.

I can't reprint everything here because that's against board rules but it highlights noteworthy additions being Gibson, Givens and Politi and subtractions being Lyles from the pitching staff.  Catching additions are McCann and Kolozsvary, subtractions are Chirinos and Cam Gallagher, etc.  It's a basic rundown/summary of moves that have been made and his thoughts.

This article is NOT about Gunnar, Adley, G-Rod, Hall and prospects.  It never was about that, to bash him for not mentioning them is disingenuous.  

I get that you've got anxiety and I get that you want stuff to talk about and like starting threads practically daily but critiquing Connolly's takes here when the article isn't about what you're bashing him for isn't a flex.   I subscribe to the Athletic for about a dollar a month like you do, too.  He's got a comment section, I'd air your grievances there.  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Connolly is fine.  The offseason is slow.  And it's been boring.  And it's bad.  

Not everyone has the capacity to start threads on a daily basis such as you do, @wildcard I mean, a thread bashing Dan Connolly is kind of like taking whoever makes the apple pies at your local McDonald's to task because the filling isn't warm enough.  It's probably not even that, it would be more like writing a review bashing the guy who wrote a review that didn't like the apple pies at your local McDonald's because you disagreed on the appropriateness of the filling temperature.

You wrote:  

Connolly wrote:  

If I'm a relatively informed Orioles fan, I can assume that it means Adley and Gunnar.  And that G-Rod, Hall, Westburg, Ortiz or Stowers will probably play roles on this team moving forward.  But this article isn't about the whole roster, this article is about moves that were made and not made so far.  

Ugh, now I have to read this whole thing to see what it's all about....

I mean, here's the intro to his article, it kind of tells you what it's going to be about:

Like, it doesn't have to mention Adley or Gunnar because it's strictly about -like the title says- moves that were made and what they're still missing.

I can't reprint everything here because that's against board rules but it highlights noteworthy additions being Gibson, Givens and Politi and subtractions being Lyles from the pitching staff.  Catching additions are McCann and Kolozsvary, subtractions are Chirinos and Cam Gallagher, etc.  It's a basic rundown/summary of moves that have been made and his thoughts.

This article is NOT about Gunnar, Adley, G-Rod, Hall and prospects.  It never was about that, to bash him for not mentioning them is disingenuous.  

I get that you've got anxiety and I get that you want stuff to talk about and like starting threads practically daily but critiquing Connolly's takes here when the article isn't about what you're bashing him for isn't a flex.   I subscribe to the Athletic for about a dollar a month like you do, too.  He's got a comment section, I'd air your grievances there.  

As I said its BS to say that the only way the O's can improve in 2023 is to trade for a starter.   He ignored the thing that improved the team  last year and is a leading reason why it will improve in 2023 and that is the young players.   You are welcome to your opinion but don't expect me to share it.

Edited by wildcard

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What are you talking about?  The pies are filled with lava!

Ah, the carefree pre-lawsuit McDonalds days up to the early 2000s, when the apple pies were heated to a molten core and the coffee you got with it was served at a rolling boil and nearly melting the styrofoam cup it came in. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tough to be good when this is the team you cover.

That said , the media could actually take on a role of challenging the team and asking real questions as times.

Connolly has done a little of that but not enough.

I feel like Britt has used her platform at The Athletic to do in depth pieces she couldn’t do on MLB.com (though covering the Nats beat).   Connolly seems to have gone the other direction and sees himself as a Peter Schmuck type commentator who doesn’t need to do any actual reporting.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I feel like Britt has used her platform at The Athletic to do in depth pieces she couldn’t do on MLB.com (though covering the Nats beat).   Connolly seems to have gone the other direction and sees himself as a Peter Schmuck type commentator who doesn’t need to do any actual reporting.

I think Britt is using the platform to try and go National.

Connolly is just looking for a paycheck at this point.

• Upvote 1