Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

For anyone in Browns/Orioles franchise I believe per Melanie

It was per Sarah Langs; Melanie only said "ever" without qualifying that it was just for the franchise. Fortunately, she did credit Sarah with the stat, and I looked it up on X to find out for sure. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here’s hoping he’s turned some type of corner. 

He looks a bit more patient and not so pull happy. 

He was way overdue for a hot streak.  I doubt he’s turned any big corner but hopefully he can ride the wave for a while.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He was way overdue for a hot streak.  I doubt he’s turned any big corner but hopefully he can ride the wave for a while.  

That approach though.  That's sustainable if he'll just do it.  Obviously, no one is going to get 3 hits every game but if he just commits to right center he has the physical talent to be a damn good hitter.  Maybe his career being in danger this year was the wake up call he needed.  I watched many of his games in Frederick and spoke to him several times.  He's a great kid with wicked hands.  Any free hacker who tries to yank everything pull side will fail.  I'm so hopeful this change is real.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that he saw the light at some point in June. Both in the sense that he saw himself getting pushed out of everyday playing time by the markedly increased quality of players around him, and he saw the opportunity that this team has.

It's just the eye test/body language diagnosis, but he has looked better to me from the moment he came back from assignment. There has always been a Golden Retriever routine with Mountcastle that seems to have been turned down when he rejoined the team.

Mounty has always driven me crazy because he's such a talented player. The hands are lightning quick, but he has wasted them because of his approach. He has been with us forever and yet is still only 26. It would be huge for this team's chances if this is more than a hot streak and he has finally locked in. What O'Hearn is doing is great, but Mountcastle wrestling back control of first base raises this team's ceiling.

• Upvote 1

His Chase Rate is only 37.7 since getting back a month ago.     That's 224th out of 290 bats like him with 50 PA in the interval, or about 20th-25th percentile MLB-wide.

That is very nice growth for him, he is often in the Bottom 5%.    It feels like just enough getting out of his own way to let his talent shine.

I'm not counting my chickens yet this is sticky and I want him competing with the best pitchers in the world over whoever between Kjerstad or Cowser looks better the next 2 months.

• Upvote 1