Elias hints that more prospect trades could come

Frobby

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This year is about winning though, right? If there is a gaping hole and Hall can fill it, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go send him down for more innings when I think he pretty much is who he's going to be at this point. Whether he starts or relieves, he's going to be a guy who needs a lot of pitches per inning to get guys out which means as a starter, he's not going to be a guy who will get past the 5th inning much at the major league level due to pitch counts. 

Hall pitched into the 6th inning only 3 times in his 20 minor league starts last year. He pitched 90 or more pitches in 5 starts and in those starts he went (4.1, 6.0, 5.2, 4.0 (100 pitches), 5.1 innings). 

All of this is why despite repertoire and stuff, he's probably destined for the pen where he will be impact guy. That could start this year if there is a need.

I'd like to see him in the pen this year, where he looked comfortable.   Next year I'd try to stretch him out as a starter if he has success and is more pitch efficient.  If he kills the role, bump him to the rotation when an inevitable injury occurs.  Having him throw a single inning in AAA is a waste during a year they are trying to win.  

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Darwinzon will be the third lefty once the 60 man IL opens up in ST. We have a lot of flexibility with players, and players with options. I would not be surprised for several SP/RP go down to AAA for 10 days to help the team with fresh arms. No egos. 

Hall will start in ST, but would have to be lights out to avoid going to AAA and getting routing starts there. 

Stowers can still play 120 ish games(full time) even if we sign Profar. Stowers would just vs LHP. Profar would really just be the icing on the cake with ultimate amount of positional flexibility and lineup possibilities. A Very Rays like type of roster. 

Bauer would likely guarantee(hate saying that)we earn a WC spot, and would actually give us a shot to win the division. 

Means not being back until July is news. I think we were all hoping June. July doesn’t give us a lot of time to evaluate him before the deadline and to see if we need to go out and get another SP. 

It’s going to be a fun season. This team doesn’t have glaring holes to overcome. We also have a ton of options at AAA that can either help us directly, or help us via trade. 

This has been the timeline since the injury.  A lot of posters have been eager to get him back 'into the lineup' as quickly as possible.  July is a rosy prediction and August has been the date given as a likely return.  

4 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

I personally can't see them trading any young high end pitching (for a pitcher) because that would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I think if they make a trade it will be from a position of strength. So either middle infield (if Urias or Mateo have any trade value) or one of our young hitters. 

Kremer would be an ideal player to trade for an upgrade.  He outperformed his peripherals by quite a bit and could be attractive to another team.  I'd flip him for a SP upgrade in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

This has been the timeline since the injury.  A lot of posters have been eager to get him back 'into the lineup' as quickly as possible.  July is a rosy prediction and August has been the date given as a likely return.  

An update is still appreciated.  The return time on TJ surgery does vary substantially from individual to individual.

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am shocked that Urias and Mateo are both still Orioles at this point, especially Urias.  Either they have no value or Elias is over valuing them.  I have a hard time believing Urias is ever more valuable to the Orioles as far as trade value than this offseason.  The guy can swing the bat and had a gold glove season at 3rd base until he lost the 3rd base job to the best prospect in baseball. How is he going to improve his value as a utility guy this year? Makes no sense to hold on to him in my opinion.

My suspicion is that Elias may have overestimated the trade market/value of Mateo and Urias. I mean, why else would he have used some his clearly limited FA dollars to sign Frazier, if he didn't intend to trade one of them? It's really hard to see it as anything but a misstep at this point.    

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

My suspicion is that Elias may have overestimated the trade market/value of Mateo and Urias. I mean, why else would he have used some his clearly limited FA dollars to sign Frazier, if he didn't intend to trade one of them? It's really hard to see it as anything but a misstep at this point.    

I still believe there is an impactful trade that will occur before the season begins.  I could be wrong, but I'd be shocked if this was the 'end game' for the off-season.  It's been a weird market with all the teams seemingly going for it.  I imagine as that is the case, after first half of season the flood gates might open up for potential trades once teams get a good idea of where they stand in 2023.  I imagine we will be very active at the trade deadline.  

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Kremer would be an ideal player to trade for an upgrade.  He outperformed his peripherals by quite a bit and could be attractive to another team.  I'd flip him for a SP upgrade in a heartbeat.

I understand the logic, I just don't think there's an interesting enough youngish young SP (who's available) to convince Elias to dip into relatively small bag of pitching prospects. I personally don't think the Marlins will trade another SP and even though everyone keeps bringing up Burnes and the Brewers there hasn't been a single rumor suggesting that they'd entertain trading him. 

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I still believe there is an impactful trade that will occur before the season begins.  I could be wrong, but I'd be shocked if this was the 'end game' for the off-season.  It's been a weird market with all the teams seemingly going for it.  I imagine as that is the case, after first half of season the flood gates might open up for potential trades once teams get a good idea of where they stand in 2023.  I imagine we will be very active at the trade deadline.  

I hope you're right, but if we're talking about trading for pitching I really don't see a team that matches up with us. Not going into the season at least. Agree that we'll probably make some sort of move at the trade deadline though. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I understand the logic, I just don't think there's an interesting enough youngish young SP (who's available) to convince Elias to dip into relatively small bag of pitching prospects. I personally don't think the Marlins will trade another SP and even though everyone keeps bringing up Burnes and the Brewers there hasn't been a single rumor suggesting that they'd entertain trading him. 

I don't think Cole Irvin was on anyone's radar.  I'm not good at reading the market and predicating trades like some folks on here.  But I do think they have a lot of attractive trade pieces and will use those assets to improve the team over the next  4-5 months.  

Just now, emmett16 said:

I don't think Cole Irvin was on anyone's radar.  I'm not good at reading the market and predicating trades like some folks on here.  But I do think they have a lot of attractive trade pieces and will use those assets to improve the team over the next  4-5 months.  

I was thinking more along the lines of a solid young arm. Cole Irvin is nothing more than a band-aid innings eater. 

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a solid young arm. Cole Irvin is nothing more than a band-aid innings eater. 

But... that's still a valuable thing, right? And with all of the top 100 infielders in the system, was their any consensus concern that we would lose Darell Hernaiz?

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If Stowers is not given an everyday job this year between RF/LF/FH then someone should be fired. 

He may not be the best and most agile defender, but as a RFer in Camden Yards he's just fine. If he gets 500 PAs, he's going to put up good numbers. I will not be happy at all if they keep benching him against lefties where he's got a great track record against them in the minor leagues.

Stowers has earned a chance to be regular.

Agreed.  I have to think our regular OF/DH (i.e. vs RHP and non-rest days for Adley) is Hays, Mullins, Stowers, and Santander (as the roster currently is).

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

I could see that if the right SP is available. 

Kremer plus one/two of Urias/Mateo/Vavra/Norby/Westburg/etc. = ?