Vavra has been working on 1B

interloper

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

But you’re not gonna get on base when ML pitchers know you can’t hurt them. That’s what happened to him after his initial decent start. They threw him strikes and he couldn’t hit them with any authority. 

Agreed.  That's certainly a risk factor with Vavra.  He needs to prove he can make solid, consistent contact in 2023.  His AEV doesn't have to be top half and he doesn't have to be above average SLG either.  Just solid contact and pitchers will respect him.

Savant has Vavra's SSS AEV at 87.5 and a max EV at 104.5.  Looking at the handy site @Just Regular linked in another thread, that puts Vavra in the Straw/Frazier/Duffy/Alberto/Grossman/Barnhart/Suzuki mold.  Obviously not perfect hitters, but a few have contributor qualities with the bat.  And some don't have the contact skills that Vavra has (ahem, Hanser Alberto...).  Arraez and McNeil have a notch higher max EV than Vavra's (and Arraez makes more consistent quality contact too).  But if you filter the link below by 90th percentile EV (and go low to high), you'll see Vavra is sandwiched between Frazier and Arraez.  And McNeil isn't too far away either.  

Exit Velocity Percentiles › 2022 Exit Velocity Percentiles (google.com)

Regardless, I do question if he has any real path to PAs on the team beyond a back-up and the occasional PH.  I'd rather see Stowers and any number of guys getting PAs instead.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can see some similarities there.  Kim had a career OPS+ of 94, OBP-heavy, same as Vavra.  Of course, Kim’s 2016 campaign was way better than his 2017, and better than what Vavra did last year.  I’m hoping Vavra has another gear.   I certainly don’t assume that his first 100 at bats in the majors is the best he can be, though it sometimes happens that way.   

Also a player that doesn't add value on defense.