One injury away

wildcard

My best guess to begin the season.  Ortiz, Cowser, Norby and Handley change this as the season progresses but they are not considered ready to begin the season.

Injured players and who replaces him.

Mullins injured;   McKenna moves to center and Diaz Cameron called up.

Adley injured;  McCann becomes starting catcher and Bemboom called up

Gunnar injured;  Urias 3B  and Westburg becomes backup 3B. (Ortiz not ready yet)

Santander injured;  Stowers to RF and Westburg is called up to DH.

Mountcastle injured;  O'Hearn called up.

Hays injured;  Vavra moves to left.   Westburg called up.  Cowser not ready yet.

Stowers injured;  Westburg called up to DH.

Frazier injured;  Urias play 2B.   Westburg called up to back up 2B.

Mateo injured;  Gunnar to SS. Urias to 3B.  Westburg call up as back up IFer.

McCann injured;   Bemboom called up.

McKenna injured;   Cameron called up.

Urias injured:  Westburg called up

Vavra injured;  O' Hearn called up to backup  1B.

So Westburg, Cameron, O'Hearn and Bemboom are an injury away from joining the 26 man roster IMO.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 3

I thought Westburg was going to make it with a "hot spring"? I do think he is the next man up in most scenarios. Could even share 1B with Vavra in the Mouncastle scenario. 

In the Frazier scenario, I think Westburg should either stay in AAA or be the starter. Prefer the latter. I would hate to see him called up just to sit on the bench.

3 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I'd be pretty surprised if they brought Westburg up to DH. Isn't positional flexibility his calling card?

Rest looks pretty accurate, great job!

IMO Westburg's calling card is his middle of the order bat to go with his positional flexibility.  If the O's lose a hitter or need  more hitting Westburg could get the call especially early in the season before Ortiz is ready.

Edited by wildcard

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

IMO Westburg's calling card is his middle of the order bat to go with his positional flexibility.  If the O's lose a hitter Westburg or need  more hitting he could get the call especially early in the season before Ortiz is ready.

I think MOO is looking at Westburg through some pretty rose-colored glasses. He'll hit at the MLB level, but if he was a top three hitter on my team I'd be wanting to improve my offense

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

IMO Westburg's calling card is his middle of the order bat to go with his positional flexibility.  If the O's lose a hitter Westburg or need  more hitting he could get the call especially early in the season before Ortiz is ready.

I will be surprised if Westburg proves to be a middle of the order bat at the major league level.  What kind of OPS+ do you deem MOO-worthy?  I’d say 110+.   I don’t think Westburg will be that.   

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will be surprised if Westburg proves to be a middle of the order bat at the major league level.  What kind of OPS+ do you deem MOO-worthy?  I’d say 110+.   I don’t think Westburg will be that.   

He was 6th in the International League in OPS

And 7th in slugging.

It would seem at least reasonable to think he'd be 110+ in the Majors

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

By the way, here are MLB batting order splits last year, OPS/OPS+:

1. .713/102

2. .760/115

3. .766/116

4. .740/109

5. .701/98

6. .692/96

7. .671/90

8. 657/86

9. 636/81

It’s really interesting to see that context. There’s a tendency to think of the no. 5 hitter in a lineup as being an above average bat, but that’s not really the case anymore.  The O’s, interestingly, were at 100+ in 6 spots (1-4 and 6-7), but quite bad at 5, 8 and 9.  4 was also a weak spot compared to the league (102 vs. 109 league average).

• Thanks 2