Ramon Urias will play 3B half the time

wildcard

38 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

OK, now I understand better why it was so important to add Frazier as the team's second highest paid player, instead of using that money to upgrade the starting rotation.

I'm afraid to comment since this could develop into the conversation we've had around here about 1000 times, but yeah, this is on point. 

Saying that, I have zero issues with Gunnar playing shortstop and third base this year since we have to find a way to get Urias on the field at 3B since he is a gold glover. 

Since we have to look forward with what the Elias gave Hyde, I think we will see these kinds of lineups:

Normal RHP:
Frazier - 2B
Henderson - SS  and Mateo at times
Urias - 3B and Henderson when Mateo plays SS

Normal LHP: 

Urias - 2B
Mateo - SS
Henderson - 3B

Tough LHP:

2B - Frazier
SS - Mateo
3B - Urias

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather they have him concentrate on one position, even if I'm sure he can handle both.

I agree with this take but I think Interloper has it right, half of the time Urias plays will be at 3B. Gunnar plays fulltime. I expect Frazier, Urias and Mateo each to play about 2/3 time. Urias get 1/3 at 2B and 1/3 at 3B. Gunnar gets 2/3 at 3B and 1/3 at SS. Frazier 2/3 at 2B and Mateo 2/3 at SS. Unless someone goes off (Mateo's bat) or someone craps the bed.

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

I agree with this take but I think Interloper has it right, half of the time Urias plays will be at 3B. Gunnar plays fulltime. I expect Frazier, Urias and Mateo each to play about 2/3 time. Urias get 1/3 at 2B and 1/3 at 3B. Gunnar gets 2/3 at 3B and 1/3 at SS. Frazier 2/3 at 2B and Mateo 2/3 at SS. Unless someone goes off (Mateo's bat) or someone craps the bed.

I understand the probable usage and it's reasonable.  I would just prefer to not do it that way.

• Upvote 1

Certainly these comments align with Gunnar continuing to bounce, but there's still a gut level feeling I'll believe it when I see it.     Star players with defensive value I don't feel often float, and I believe its a tax on acclimating.

Andres Gimenez was 125 2B, 18 SS last year; Bobby WItt 98 SS and 55 3B, though with not very much day to day toggling until the second half.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather they have him concentrate on one position, even if I'm sure he can handle both.

I don’t care too much.  He’s handled splitting his time pretty well and has said he doesn’t mind it.   I think as the season progresses we’ll see the lineup settle down a bit, depending on who plays better at the various spots and who hits.  

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Certainly these comments align with Gunnar continuing to bounce, but there's still a gut level feeling I'll believe it when I see it.     Star players with defensive value I don't feel often float, and I believe its a tax on acclimating.

Andres Gimenez was 125 2B, 18 SS last year; Bobby WItt 98 SS and 55 3B, though with not very much day to day toggling until the second half.

I think lack of proficiency at short has a lot to do with Witt spending time at third.

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm afraid to comment since this could develop into the conversation we've had around here about 1000 times, but yeah, this is on point. 

Saying that, I have zero issues with Gunnar playing shortstop and third base this year since we have to find a way to get Urias on the field at 3B since he is a gold glover. 

Since we have to look forward with what the Elias gave Hyde, I think we will see these kinds of lineups:

Normal RHP:
Frazier - 2B
Henderson - SS  and Mateo at times
Urias - 3B and Henderson when Mateo plays SS

Normal LHP: 

Urias - 2B
Mateo - SS
Henderson - 3B

Tough LHP:

2B - Frazier
SS - Mateo
3B - Urias

Frazier against a tough LHP feels like an automatic out, though I get that the point was to show Henderson getting a blow now and then against tough LHP.  Which is fine with me .

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Frazier against a tough LHP feels like an automatic out, though I get that the point was to show Henderson getting a blow now and then against tough LHP.  Which is fine with me .

I think they will have to either play Henderson or Frazier against that tough lefty and neither are good at hitting lefties. Hopefully Henderson will improve.

Elias was also precise about three Position Player spots up for grabs.    There's only 13 total.    If "starters" are 2B Frazier and 3B Urias, C McCann is probably the most certain bench player 10.

Full Kremlin-ology, I could hear that like Stowers and Mateo are in camp battles with the various Jake Foxes of 2023.