Gunnar 30-30?

sevastras

I got to thinking, Henderson has a legitimate chance to have a 30-30 season as a rookie. Between all leagues last year, he hit 23 HR and stole 23 bases. He didn’t steal as much when he came up, but continued to hit home runs. With the change in bases, I bet players are going to run more and have more success, including Gunnar. 

• Upvote 1

That would be an historic achievement almost unparalleled. The only rookie to hit 30 HRs and steal over 30 bases was Mike Trout in 2012, (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/angels/2012/09/30/angels-mike-trout-1st-rookie-with-30-homers-40-sbs/1604205/). 

The 30-30 club is pretty darn exclusive. In total, 43 players have reached the 30–30 club in MLB history and thirteen have done so more than once. Baseball Digest called the 30–30 club "the most celebrated feat that can be achieved by a player who has both power and speed." Six members of the 30–30 club have been elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. (Deane, Bill (May 1987). "Here Are Top Candidates To Join Elite '30–30' Club". Baseball Digest. Evanston, Illinois: Century Publishing. 46 (5): 34. ISSN 0005-609X).

I think Gunnar is really good, however we might want to temper of expectations just a bit. 

• Upvote 2

Theoretically possible, but pretty unlikely.  I think Gunnar is capable of several 30 homer seasons, and might be capable of a few 30 SB seasons if Hyde wants him to run that much.  But to do either as a rookie would be exceeding expectations; doing both would be way out there.  

I note that Bobby Witt went 20/30 last year.  

36 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He had 1 SB in over 100 ABs last year. He has the speed to do it and we will have to see how much the new bases affect the game but 15 would be a nice surprise for me. 

Watching him, he didn't seem to get great jumps, but that could just be learning the pitchers.  His Baseball Savant page shows not just elite top speed, but also elite acceleration. Gunnar Henderson Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics | MLB.com | baseballsavant.com

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Watching him, he didn't seem to get great jumps, but that could just be learning the pitchers.  His Baseball Savant page shows not just elite top speed, but also elite acceleration. Gunnar Henderson Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics | MLB.com | baseballsavant.com

22 SB in the minors last year.  I think Hyde was playing it cautious with the rookie.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

22 SB in the minors last year.  I think Hyde was playing it cautious with the rookie.  

And he may elect to be cautious again with his rookie-emerging superstar. I think Gunnar is capable of 30 SB, the question is whether it would be worth the extra grind. Plus Hydr may be more conservative in games that count.

With the rule changes in the minors last year, I think they spent less time actually learning to read pitchers, and more time using the rules to their advantage. 

It will be interesting to see the rule change impact on mlb. If it plays out how it does in the minors, gunnar should have 20sb easy