Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

I think part of the calculation re. elevating Holliday will involve how much of a contender the team is next year and how much they've gone "all in."

If many of the people here get their wish and we trade away multiple infield prospects for starting pitching, we'll not only need Holliday's bat, but the clock will also be ticking on the control left over those acquired pitchers. In that scenario, it would be malpractice to not bring up a guy who could contribute because you're trying to finagle some extra control/cash in a season closer to 2030 than 2023.

For the record, I'm not in favor of big moves like this because it essentially forces our own hand and limits our options. But the whole point of that strategy has to be to win a world series as soon as possible.

The only thing that matters is simply, is he ready.

I don’t care if he is 18 or 21, if he’s ready, he should be up.

If we were tanking, maybe you wait until 2025 but they aren’t and the reality is that he may be the best SS in the organization right now and even if he’s not, he probably will be soon.

Elias made him the first pick for a reason. He is and always has been in the plans to be here and be here quickly. Elite high schoolers who stay healthy, perform well and go high in the draft move through their system quickly. 

His time table has always been 2025 OD (or three weeks later) at the latest. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The only thing that matters is simply, is he ready.

I don’t care if he is 18 or 21, if he’s ready, he should be up.

Makes sense, although “ready” might mean ready to be better than one of our starting infielders, not ready to survive the major leagues.  

• Upvote 1

Really mired in a slump at the moment, sending his average down to below .300 for the first time in a long time....

I wonder if  pitchers are figuring him out, or if it's just an ordinary slump that all guys go through....

51 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Really mired in a slump at the moment, sending his average down to below .300 for the first time in a long time....

I wonder if  pitchers are figuring him out, or if it's just an ordinary slump that all guys go through....

His OBP is over 370 during his slump and he recently was showing signs of getting out of the slump but had a hitless weekend.

Hes fine.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That should help the OBP.  6 for 6 on base.  Can I dream that the O's could lead the majors in OBP in a year or two.

After seeing Yankees and Red Sox lineups with no easy outs in the past, I can't wait for the Orioles to be that lineup opposing pitching staffs dread coming up on the schedule.