2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

13 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Don't worry. Mountcastle will be available off the bench to K on 3 swings and misses 

Right now, you have to try to use him in a spot where there's a lefthander on the mound who hasn't yet pitched to the minimum three hitters. That's a pretty narrow role.

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

O'Hearn instead of Mountcastle.  Looks like Hyde, Elias and SigBot have been reading the OH over the past 24 hours, thank goodness.

Welcome back, Gunnar.

Or they finally bothered paying attention to platoon splits. Advanced analytics is great, but how about some basics first like noticing which hitters can hit RHP (O'Hearn) and which hitters (Mountcastle) can't hit RHP to save their life.

Earl would have figured this out weeks ago and adjusted his lineup accordingly. At least they're acting now and hopefully the offense kicks it into high gear again.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Or they finally bothered paying attention to platoon splits. Advanced analytics is great, but how about some basics first like noticing which hitters can hit RHP (O'Hearn) and which hitters (Mountcastle) can't hit RHP to save their life.

Earl would have figured this out weeks ago and adjusted his lineup accordingly. At least they're acting now and hopefully the offense kicks it into high gear again.

Earl would also have noticed that in 2020 and 2022, Mountcastle hit significantly better vs. right-handed pitchers.

But fine--it's early enough in the season still to experiment and see what O'Hearn and Lester can be relied on for. It's important to find out.

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Which LH hitting prospects are better options at 3B and 1B than Lester and O'hearn?

3B?  Do you mean 1B and DH?

Cowser and Kjerstad.  I would also argue they don’t have to be left handed. That’s a silly reason to leave a top prospect in triple A when they could be filling a position of need and are expected to be everyday players that can hit both right and left handed pitching. 

I don’t have a huge problem with O’Hearn being on the team right now,  but much rather see some combination of Cowser, Westburg, and Ortiz in exchange for those two.  There are at bats to be had for all on a rotational basis, particularly if Mountcastle is routinely sitting against righties and Mateo’s playing time is also reduced. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

3B?  Do you mean 1B and DH?

Cowser and Kjerstad.  I would also argue they don’t have to be left handed. That’s a silly reason to leave a top prospect in triple A when they could be filling a position of need and are expected to be everyday players that can hit both right and left handed pitching. 

I don’t have a huge problem with O’Hearn being on the team right now,  but much rather see some combination of Cowser, Westburg, and Ortiz in exchange for those two.  There are at bats to be had for all on a rotational basis, particularly if Mountcastle is routinely sitting against righties and Mateo’s playing time is also reduced. 

Cowser and Kjerstad can play 1B more than adequately? And you're certain they can hit major league pitching without struggling, a la Gunnar?

37 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Cowser and Kjerstad can play 1B more than adequately? And you're certain they can hit major league pitching without struggling, a la Gunnar?

Mountcastle can’t play the position more than adequately! Cowser obviously would not play first base, but rotating Santander and others through that position would allow him to get at bats in the OF. For Kjerstad, I fully expect first  base to be his primary big league position. 

I am not certain O’Hearn, Lester, Hicks, or anyone for that matter can hit major league pitching without struggling. Being certain that a player won’t struggle after a promotion, may by the most absurd standard I’ve heard someone quote on this board. 

Edited by ChuckS

One of the reasons I think Brandon Hyde is a bad manager is that he does the simple-minded thing and will bat a below average player like Adam Frazier in the leadoff spot, and leave him there because Frazier is a veteran. Frazier has a .299 OBP on the season, he has no business leading off whatsoever.

It's time to make major changes with this lineup. Fortunately it seems that Elias is aware of how Mountcastle should be platooned based on his usage the past few games, but the team needs to phase out Mateo, Mountcastle, and Frazier as soon as possible. It's past time for Westburg, Ortiz, and Coswer to be promoted and start getting acclimated to everyday at bats. All 3 guys are part of the future, and can help the team win now. 

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

One of the reasons I think Brandon Hyde is a bad manager is that he does the simple-minded thing and will bat a below average player like Adam Frazier in the leadoff spot, and leaving him there because Frazier is a veteran. Frazier has a .299 OBP on the season, he has no business leading off whatsoever.

It's time to make major changes with this lineup. Fortunately it seems that Elias is aware of how Mountcastle should be platooned based on his usage the past few games, but the team needs to phase out Mateo, Mountcastle, and Frazier as soon as possible. It's past time for Westburg, Ortiz, and Coswer to be promoted and start getting acclimated to everyday at bats. All 3 guys are part of the future, and can help the team win now. 

Elias' comments about the Hicks' signing made me think Cowser would indeed have been up here if not for his own injury. 

Now that he's back I'm hoping for his callup during this next homestand. I think we might see it, and that he might lead off while we wait for Mullins. 

Westburg I also think we'll see soonish, but I don't think the path is as clear.

4 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Elias' comments about the Hicks' signing made me think Cowser would indeed have been up here if not for his own injury. 

Now that he's back I'm hoping for his callup during this next homestand. I think we might see it, and that he might lead off while we wait for Mullins. 

Westburg I also think we'll see soonish, but I don't think the path is as clear.

Not sure what you are referencing?  I recall him saying something about how they had been looking at Hicks before Mullins' injury.  That to me doesn't indicate that Cowser would have been the choice.