2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There’s a part of managing that involves keeping all the players involved and content.   I think that’s why McCann gets the occasional DH game.  He’s a veteran and they want to keep him a bit more involved than just being the backup C.  In a vacuum, that may not be the best choice on a given day, but in the long run it may help the team.   Anyway, I think that’s the rationale here.  

You may be right,  but if that's the logic I find it faulty.  Not sure it's worth giving away a handful of at bats a game just to keep the backup catcher content. 

11 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

You may be right,  but if that's the logic I find it faulty.  Not sure it's worth giving away a handful of at bats a game just to keep the backup catcher content. 

If McCann wants to be content Hyde can remind him he's getting paid $24.2 million (Mets on the hook for $19M) the next two seasons guaranteed if he manages to not get suspended or retire.

With the options the Orioles have for DH if McCann can only hang it filling in once a week as the starting catcher then that's his role.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully it's more like a handful of at bats a week.

Sure, but on a game by game basis, for that game it's a handful of at bats.  Whether that happens once a week or more frequently doesn't change that fact that for that game we are not putting the best team on the field to protect the psyche of the backup catcher, if that's really the logic.  If so that's a sad waste, and could cost us games in close games.  

Tommorow's lineup is against a LHP. I'm assuming both Urias and Mateo play. Let’s play a game where of you had to choose between 2 players to put in the lineup against the LHP, you are you picking?

McCann or Mckenna?

Vavra or McKenna?

Adam Frazier or Gunnar Henderson?

Ramon Urias or Adam Frazier? 

Ok I'm out of ways to phrase that, but I'm thinking about who might play 3B, SS, 2B, RF, C, and DH.

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Tommorow's lineup is against a LHP. I'm assuming both Urias and Mateo play. Let’s play a game where of you had to choose between 2 players to put in the lineup against the LHP, you are you picking?

McCann or Mckenna?

Vavra or McKenna?

Adam Frazier or Gunnar Henderson?

Ramon Urias or Adam Frazier? 

Ok I'm out of ways to phrase that, but I'm thinking about who might play 3B, SS, 2B, RF, C, and DH.

Adley caught today so I would guess McCann C, Adley DH. Santander in RF. Mateo SS, Urias either 2B or 3B, then choose between Frazer and Gunnar. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Adley caught today so I would guess McCann C, Adley DH. Santander in RF. Mateo SS, Urias either 2B or 3B, then choose between Frazer and Gunnar. 

And it will be Frazier.  He was off today, and Gunnar got some experience against LHPs.

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If that's the case, then tomorrow's lineup would probably be exactly the same as it was today except with Frazier substituted in for Gunnar at the 7 spot. And defensively, Adley would be DH with McCann catching, Urias at 3B and Fraizier at 2B.

It's also a day game so I'm inclined to believe that your guess is and educated one.

11 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If that's the case, then tomorrow's lineup would probably be exactly the same as it was today except with Frazier substituted in for Gunnar at the 7 spot. And defensively, Adley would be DH with McCann catching, Urias at 3B and Fraizier at 2B.

It's also a day game so I'm inclined to believe that your guess is and educated one.

We were close. Adley on the bench, Santander to DH. Otherwise it's the RH stack plus Frazier.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Crazy idea: Trade for Salvador Perez, he and Adley split catching and DH, teach one or both of them to play 1B

Why do people continue to want to take Adley out from behind the plate? That’s where his value is!

He’s not some 30+ homer/900+ OPS hitter. We need to stop treating him as if he’s done high level offensive player at first or DH. He has to catch.

You took him first because of the value he has as a catcher, not a DH.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Crazy idea: Trade for Salvador Perez, he and Adley split catching and DH, teach one or both of them to play 1B

I would be in on Sal Perez if he were on the trade market, but he has an opportunity at that one franchise kind of thing, and is wearing the Captain C on his uniform.

This kind of Buy Side acquistion, same as McCann, it goes without saying Elias would negotiate the payout of the contract remainder down.    I don't think Sal has let go of his self-image as an everyday catcher, so that probably makes the whole concept a non-starter.     But a RH bat like him in the middle of the lineup is a good fit.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do people continue to want to take Adley out from behind the plate? That’s where his value is!

He’s not some 30+ homer/900+ OPS hitter. We need to stop treating him as if he’s done high level offensive player at first or DH. He has to catch.

You took him first because of the value he has as a catcher, not a DH.

Game on the line, who on our team would you rather have at the plate ahead of Adley? Only other guy I'd maybe want is Mountcastle if there are 2 out and we absolutely need a homer. Hays, Mullins, and Santander all have lower career OPS than Adley. He is certainly one of our top 3 hitters. Yes, he needs to catch as much as possible but he is absolutely a Great Hitter.