Vavra vs. O’Hearn

sportsfan8703

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well Vavra has been out 7 days. An IL stint is 10. So he’s pretty close to that. 

What is Vavra’s positional flexibility?  Don’t say CF, because that’s laughable. Defensively, Vavra is a poor man’s Stevie Wilkerson. Remember the Stowers homer against the CWS?  We were in that position because Vavra couldn’t turn two routine double plays. He’s a DH/COF with no power. Eventually pitchers will just challenging him more because of the lack of power. Most importantly, he just can’t stay healthy. 

Ok. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What position can O'Hearn play other than 1B?  Not sure a team can or should carry a backup 1B in 2023.

Orioles already have multiple players who can play 1B and unless it’s a player with a good bat it’s hard to justify a backup who is limited defensively.  

O’Hearn has a career OPS+ of 83 unless there’s an unexpected trade or a rash of injuries he’s not making the team. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well Vavra has been out 7 days. An IL stint is 10. So he’s pretty close to that. 

What is Vavra’s positional flexibility?  Don’t say CF, because that’s laughable. Defensively, Vavra is a poor man’s Stevie Wilkerson. Remember the Stowers homer against the CWS?  We were in that position because Vavra couldn’t turn two routine double plays. He’s a DH/COF with no power. Eventually pitchers will just challenging him more because of the lack of power. Most importantly, he just can’t stay healthy. 

He can play 2B, 3B, and COF at least as respectably as you need in a part time PH player. He doesn't need HR power to keep pitchers honest, just doubles power which he demonstrated at AAA. O'Hearn is just a backup 1B with more HR power. If Mounty gets hurt then Diaz is probably a better option. They can both DH but there aren't likely to be many ABs there.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

He can play 2B, 3B, and COF at least as respectably as you need in a part time PH player. He doesn't need HR power to keep pitchers honest, just doubles power which he demonstrated at AAA. O'Hearn is just a backup 1B with more HR power. If Mounty gets hurt then Diaz is probably a better option. They can both DH but there aren't likely to be many ABs there.

He’s also willing to work a count and take a walk. 88 point difference between his batting average and on base percentage last year. 

The notion that every guy on the bench needs to hit for power is silly and exhausting. His doubles power is fine, as you noted. 

• Upvote 2

Based on the positional versatility and the upside potential, Vavra seems to be the choice (pending health issues).  But the machinations that got O'Hearn here saddled Elias with a $1.4M guaranteed contract whether O'Hearn plays in AAA all year or not.  To satisfy the contract, O'Hearn may have the advantage.

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He’s also willing to work a count and take a walk. 88 point difference between his batting average and on base percentage last year. 

The notion that every guy on the bench needs to hit for power is silly and exhausting. His doubles power is fine, as you noted. 

Earl Weaver would have loved Vavra as a bench player back in the day thanks to his OBP skills and defensive versatility.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, EricK said:

Based on the positional versatility and the upside potential, Vavra seems to be the choice (pending health issues).  But the machinations that got O'Hearn here saddled Elias with a $1.4M guaranteed contract whether O'Hearn plays in AAA all year or not.  To satisfy the contract, O'Hearn may have the advantage.

In other words, do you pay O'Hearn to be in the minors for $1.4M and pay Vavra the MLB league minimum or do you save some money and pay O'Hearn what you are obligated to pay him and send Vavra down to AAA at much less than the MLB league minimum.  I think that is the question.

23 minutes ago, EricK said:

In other words, do you pay O'Hearn to be in the minors for $1.4M and pay Vavra the MLB league minimum or do you save some money and pay O'Hearn what you are obligated to pay him and send Vavra down to AAA at much less than the MLB league minimum.  I think that is the question.

I think the Orioles pushing O'Hearn off the 40-man and through waivers hours after trading for him showed they were willing to eat the cost of the contract to keep him as depth in AAA.

I'm not saying they aren't seriously considering him as the 26th man, but I don't know if the Orioles are SO cheap they keep him on the MLB roster at the expense of competitive advantages. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

O'Hearn was brought here in case of extended injury to mountcastle. He does not  as a bench player because he cant do anything but that you would never DH him> Unless Vavra is

hurt it will be Vavra> Would rather See Westburg than Ohearn

• Upvote 1

It's Vavra's job to lose IMO. 

They brought in all the AAAA 1B types to have a few shots on goal for in-season fill-ins.  Not as back-ups on the 26-man roster.  Unless one of Mountcastle/Santander/Vavra is injured...  The options were completely missing last year.

6 hours ago, PsychoBird68 said:

I don't think Vavra is on the bubble I believe McKenna is the odd man out and the 26th spot is a fight between Diaz ( defense ) and O'hearn 

I think McKenna is pretty safe.   He is Mullins backup in CF and may be a platoon with Mullins.    McKenna's competition in camp is Cameron who has not shown he can hit and Cordero who does not have a very good history offensively.

McKenna is coming off hitting for a 794 OPS vs lefties last season.   That should keep him on the team at least until Cowser is ready in June.

• Upvote 1

All winter long Elias talked about a LHH backup for 1B. Henderson/Urias at 3rd, Henderson/Mateo SS, Frazier/Urias at 2nd. Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stowers, McKenna OF. Frazier can play OF in a pinch. It’s not like they don’t have those spots covered. 

Is Vavra more versatile? yes. There may be some strategy as to when/if they want to give O’Hearn a chance. I have nothing against Vavra but if Elias had a specific role he wanted filled I can see them going with O’Hearn. Not sure what route they go on OD. Do they go ahead and say let’s see what O’Hearn in limited at bats? or send him to AAA and see how Vavra in limited duty handles 1B. 

• Upvote 1