Any thoughts on Mike Bauman going to the bullpen role?

oriolediehard

Baumann is already 27 and not even one of the top backup starter candidates at this point. It makes sense to use him where he can help immediately. His fastball velocity last year was a tick or two higher in relief and he really needs to maximize velocity to be effective.

I imagine he'll be a down-and-up guy unless we trade someone or someone really struggles.

• Upvote 1

I agree with all of the above.   I think he was going to get squeezed out of the Norfolk rotation as well.   Let's see if he can turn into something for 1-2 innings.  

I'm not sure Baumann or Cano have a chance to make the team but I'm encouraged by Cano's last two outings and we could use some hard thrower/strikeout pitchers leading up to Bautista.    Baker continues to look shaky.   

Baumann seems like a guy who could do 97-98 in short stints.   Cano is throwing 96-97.  Gillaspie is 95-96.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SilverRocket said:

Yeah as far as it relates to Baumann but... the Mets do need a closer now, and last year's Orioles did just fine with a scrapheap bullpen.

The Mets don't need a closer now.

They can probably wait until the trade deadline to make a move if one is needed.

With that roster I'm not panicking if I'm the GM.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Mets don't need a closer now.

They can probably wait until the trade deadline to make a move if one is needed.

With that roster I'm not panicking if I'm the GM.

And if they do trade for a closer, it’s likely to be for a “name” with postseason experience. 

• Like 1

My thoughts, it’s time. A good move for Mike. His FB/slider combo will be much better in the pen than as a starter. Never really had a third pitch, something off speed, he could command. Many here figured he’d end up in the pen, so not a surprise.  

• Upvote 1