Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s basically doing half of what you said and you are only mildly disappointed? I just don’t believe that. For whatever reason, people are afraid to say how they really feel because it’s Adley.

This may not be rational, but a player I expected to be a 7 WAR plsyer, playing like a 4 WAR player, bothers me a lot less than a player I expected to be a 4 WAR player playing like a 1 WAR player.  Either way, the deficit in expectations is 3 WAR, but I still find it hard to be terribly disappointed in a guy who deservedly will make the all-star team.  That’s just subjective but it’s how I feel. 

It’s sort of like if I expected my team to win 100 games but they were only on pace to win 90, vs. if I expected the team to win 90 and they were only on pace to win 80.   The former would bother me a lot less than the latter.

Agree that Adley has been disappointing. For me it's l about the plate appearances.  Early in the season every at bat was exciting, he seemed to playing at a different level, rarely swung at a bad pitch and always seemed to come up with the big hit if he wasn't pitched around.   Now he seems to be grounding out to 2B or to the SS positioned up the middle, swinging at bad pitches and not taking as many walks i.e. a slump.   Hopefully he resets and reigns hellfire on opposing pitchers in the second half. 

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Being a big-time hitting catcher is very, very rare for a reason.  The position takes a toll on your body, especially your hands and wrists.

I was mocked for it.  

Chris Hoiles said during 90+ degree days in July/August he would lose ten pounds after catching a game. It's a brutal position to play.

28 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Chris Hoiles said during 90+ degree days in July/August he would lose ten pounds after catching a game. It's a brutal position to play.

I seriously doubt the veracity of that. If you know something about sports science or physiology it really doesn't make much sense. People do much greater exertions (think Iron Mans, or sports without rests every 10-15 min of exertion like soccer) without losing half of that. The only way it would make sense if he was dehydrating himself throughout the whole game...it must be a bit of an exaggeration for effect. 

Not taking away from the general point that @Picklesmade and you responded to, mind, I can definitely see that point about it taking away from your hands and wrists which seem to be difference makers for a good hitter. But that Chris Hoiles line smells of exaggeration for effect or urban legend, scientifically it doesn't make much sense. Even people with really, really high BMI don't lose 10 lbs in a day with a massive exertion. 

Edited by Flash- bd

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s basically doing half of what you said and you are only mildly disappointed? I just don’t believe that. For whatever reason, people are afraid to say how they really feel because it’s Adley.

Its hard to be too disappointed when the Orioles are doing so well.  Frankly lots of our players are not doing all that great and we keep winning.  Not sure what to make of it.  

But after Wieters I really was never actually expecting Adley to be a switch hitting Jesus.  

I just want to start resting him more and get him ready for October baseball.  Because we are going to be deep in it.  

12 hours ago, Pat Kelly said:

Agree that Adley has been disappointing. For me it's l about the plate appearances.  Early in the season every at bat was exciting, he seemed to playing at a different level, rarely swung at a bad pitch and always seemed to come up with the big hit if he wasn't pitched around.   Now he seems to be grounding out to 2B or to the SS positioned up the middle, swinging at bad pitches and not taking as many walks i.e. a slump.   Hopefully he resets and reigns hellfire on opposing pitchers in the second half. 

Let’s remember.. Adley caught 93 games last year which was by far the most he had ever caught in a season.  He caught 54 in college two years, 17 in brief first minor league season in 2019 after signing.. 2020 he had zero , 2021 he caught 82 at Bowie/Norfolk,  then last year 93 between Norfolk and here. 
He has caught  at a pace for 123 games at catcher .. how it affects his offense remains to be seen 

He was used in 29 games at Bowie Norfolk at 1b which appears no longer to be part of the plan 

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

Being a big-time hitting catcher is very, very rare for a reason.  The position takes a toll on your body, especially your hands and wrists.

I was mocked for it.  

That’s part of the reason why I didn’t want to use that pick on Adley, as great as I think he is/will be.