Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

1 hour ago, D&B said:

He should already be extended. They are making a big mistake with this guy. All the talk seems to be about extending Henderson but I wouldn’t even bother with Henderson until Rutschman is locked up.

It’s simply not that easy to lock guys up. Everyone acts like the team can snap its fingers and players will agree to get locked up. There’s only 30 or so players in all MLB who have agreed to pre-Arb extensions.   Maybe 3-5 of them are players you could mention in the same breath as Rutschman.  We don’t know how hard the O’s have tried, or how receptive Rutschman is.  So it’s easy to say, “Rutschman should already be locked up.”   It’s harder to do.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s simply not that easy to lock guys up. Everyone acts like the team can snap its fingers and players will agree to get locked up. There’s only 30 or so players in all MLB who have agreed to pre-Arb extensions.   Maybe 3-5 of them are players you could mention in the same breath as Rutschman.  We don’t know how hard the O’s have tried, or how receptive Rutschman is.  So it’s easy to say, “Rutschman should already be locked up.”   It’s harder to do.  

Doesn't help when ownership is saying what sounds like excuses for why they won't get a deal done.

Have the O's ever extended a player before they had a pending arbitration case?

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed that it's not easy, but it's even harder to do when you don't even try to negotiate an extension with Adley. John Angelos got defensive on opening day when he was asked about the topic not a good sign the Orioles are open to an early extension.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure how it could be a troll post?

A joke sure...but a troll?

As long as you’re not serious… that’s all I was getting at. Hard to tell over the internet sometimes, and I’ve seen crazier stuff posted here than that…

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agreed that it's not easy, but it's even harder to do when you don't even try to negotiate an extension with Adley. John Angelos got defensive on opening day when he was asked about the topic not a good sign the Orioles are open to an early extension.

I read Angelos’ remarks.  They were very defensive but he didn’t say the O’s hadn’t tried or won’t.

“They’re going to do what they can within the system that they’re in,” Angelos said. “Does that mean extensions? Absolutely, I would hope so. But you gotta go with the system you’re in.”

Well, fine.  The system they’re in suggests early extensions are better than last-minute ones.  That’s why low budget teams like Tampa and Cleveland do them.  

• Upvote 1

John An

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I read Angelos’ remarks.  They were very defensive but he didn’t say the O’s hadn’t tried or won’t.

John Angelos is a very defensive person. He seems to percieve reporters (who don't work under him for MASN) as threatening or in bad faith. I hope he snaps out of that. I doubt there are many bad faith local reporters attempting to get a "gotchya" question.

As a fan base, we just want to have our Baltimore Orioles in Baltimore, and have a winning team.

I think Adley Rutschmen being our Franchise player and captain for the long term gives us the best chance for an enjoyable baseball experience. I see nothing but positive things for all of the Franchise, the fans, and for Adley if the Orioles were to sign him to a long term extension deal like the Mariners did for Julio Rodriguez, or the Braves did for some of their core players that won them a World Series. Baltimore and the Orioles need a new superstar to build around like they had with Cal Ripken back in the day.  The marketing and endorsement opportunities this creates is beneficial for both the player and the franchise, as well as giving the fans a player who truly represents the heart of their team. 

Plus, a Catcher of Adley's talent might be more rare than even once in a generation. Good catchers are hard to find, and GREAT catchers are even harder to find. I think  Rutschmen is a diamond in the rough and the Orioles should do everything to build the franchise around him for the long term.  He's been consistent his entire amateur career all the way through his pro Career. We know what type of player and athlete he is by now.

• Upvote 1

One thing about Adley: he hasn't hit the ball that hard. His average EV is 21 percentile this year, and hard hit rate 11 percentile. Last year they were both 31. Today he hit the huge bomb, but also had 3 soft line drive hits. Is this anything to worry about? How lucky is he getting with his soft contact vs it being skill to get those singles?

I dont know the exact numbers but off hand it seems more Latin American players take the extentions.  I could be wrong with that but I think the burden of supporting their families who are often in poverty as compared to American families makes them want the guaranteed money sooner.   But this is just my opinion I could be very wrong. 

38 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

When it comes to talks about extending, you also have to ask…Does Adley want to stay with the Orioles? Yes, they can offer him whatever contract they want, but what if he wants to be back on the West Coast? 

People speculated the same thing about Aaron Judge. But respect and money talk louder than location.  There is something to the idea of having a full career in the location you began your career, and that team proving their loyalty and showing respect to you via $$$. When a player knows that you value and respect them in the same way of how they feel they should be respected, it creates a 2-way avenue/partnership for loyalty.

Edited by Billy F-Face3

5 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

One thing about Adley: he hasn't hit the ball that hard. His average EV is 21 percentile this year, and hard hit rate 11 percentile. Last year they were both 31. Today he hit the huge bomb, but also had 3 soft line drive hits. Is this anything to worry about? How lucky is he getting with his soft contact vs it being skill to get those singles?

What about the Homer that almost hit the warehouse?  Soft contact?  Haha

7 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Right now he’s being pitched away a lot, and is going with the pitch. He’s also doing it very successfully 

8 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Adley is pretty much the last guy I'd be worried about on this team hitting wise. Those numbers will even out over a larger sample size. After starting the year 6-for-6, he went into a 1-for-23 funk that did not help his numbers. 

It's early, he will be fine but I don't know if he'll ever have extremely high EVs because he will take those soft oppo hits when they are there.

8 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I dont know the exact numbers but off hand it seems more Latin American players take the extentions.  I could be wrong with that but I think the burden of supporting their families who are often in poverty as compared to American families makes them want the guaranteed money sooner.   But this is just my opinion I could be very wrong. 

It is at least mildly true that the percentage of players who took pre-Arb extensions is skewed towards players who were signed foreign amateurs, in higher proportions than would be expected by the number of such players in pro ball.   I counted 13 of 30 a few weeks back, including 6 of the 10 biggest.