Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

Great to see both Gibson and Irvin looking sharp in the earlygoing. Not the aces any of us were targeting but I could see both providing good value. Will be interesting if they outperform for us with the Adley factor and the wall. They should be at least incrementally better than Lyles and Watkins/Zimmermann. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s going to be a fan favorite.

Fan favorites are terrible, aren't they?  I can't stand them, personally.  Underperforming, low WARs, but sparkling personalities that make the fans who cling to 80s stats think these guys are something special.  

To hell with them, I say.

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fan favorites are terrible, aren't they?  I can't stand them, personally.  Underperforming, low WARs, but sparkling personalities that make the fans who cling to 80s stats think these guys are something special.  

To hell with them, I say.

Thing is, the 80s stats tell you a lot about who actually helped their team, as opposed to who should have helped their team in theory.   Give me the pitcher who had more wins over the pitcher who had the higher spin rate, so far as the season in question goes.   I like winning.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s going to happen plenty while he is here. Not sure why we should feel the desire to avoid it right off the bat.

I know virtually nothing about Irvin's mental makeup, but for some LHed starting pitchers I think it might be advantageous to get a few starts with a new team before pitching in Fenway. I think it's a good idea doing that with Irvin if it can be done without messing around much with the rotation, and it appears that it can.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I know virtually nothing about Irvin's mental makeup, but for some LHed starting pitchers I think it might be advantageous to get a few starts with a new team before pitching in Fenway. I think it's a good idea doing that with Irvin if it can be done without messing around much with the rotation, and it appears that it can.

I think you guys are overthinking this. It’s nothing to send him out to pitch in a park he has pitched before and will likely pitch in a lot over the next several years.

Its not like Boston is trotting out the USA WBC lineup.

Edited by Sports Guy

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thing is, the 80s stats tell you a lot about who actually helped their team, as opposed to who should have helped their team in theory.   Give me the pitcher who had more wins over the pitcher who had the higher spin rate, so far as the season in question goes.   I like winning.  

The thing is that is often the pitcher who was on the better team.

Or the pitcher that got lucky with run support.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The thing is that is often the pitcher who was on the better team.

Or the pitcher that got lucky with run support.

Sure, and I’m fine with either of those.  If the O’s are a great team this year that gives Irvin a lot of fun support, I’m all in favor of it.   

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like winning, but fan favorites are annoying.

"Fan favorite" is code for someone who isn't that good but they sign a lot of autographs and they hustle a lot.  

I'm being sarcastic.  Fan favorites are fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty rough game for Irvin yesterday, walking 4 guys.   He’s definitely is one of those guys who’s going to look bad on days when his command isn’t quite up to its usual standards.   Still, he kept us in the game.  

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pretty rough game for Irvin yesterday, walking 4 guys.   He’s definitely is one of those guys who’s going to look bad on days when his command isn’t quite up to its usual standards.   Still, he kept us in the game.  

I still think Irvin is going to end up pitching a lot of good games for this team. For some reason his command has not been there in his first two starts of the year. When you look in baseball savant, the stuff is actually better than it was last year. Its all been command related so far and he needs to stop hanging his curve in the middle of the plate.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

After some early trouble it looked like he was starting to cruise until Gleyber pulled that walk. He had Gleyber down 1-2 before allowing the walk on pitch 12. Did not lead to a run but greatly prolonged the inning and ran up Irvin's pitch count. Credit Gleyber from switching Irvin back from cruise control to struggle mode. Seemed like he was tiring at that point and they could have removed him quicker in the 5th. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hasn't impressed me at all this year. This club has SERIOUS pitching problems..and unless they get some arms upgraded(who?) from the minors..its going to be a disappointing season.