Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

55 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Didn't think they would act that fast on Irvin, but I haven't seen anything from Irvin so far that suggests he will fare well in the AL East.

Well at least he's good in Oakland.  Do the O's have 2 series in Oakland this year?  Going to have to find a good starter somewhere?  Gray Rod might be the O's 2nd best starter right now and it's not because he's good but everyone other than Gibson is bad.  Should Bradish be back next week?

Five and dive is one thing but Four and door (opening the door to the opponents offense) has been the O's starters lately.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

On the bright side, we are able to do this with Irvin.  The Blue Jays have to keep trotting Berrios and Kikuchi out there or at least feel they do.

That was my first thought as well.  Definitely a “luxury” to have that as an option.  

49 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

My contention is the stuff may have played ok out in the cavernous Oakland Coliseum in the AL West. But here in the AL East. I just don’t see him being successful as is.

That may be correct, but this is more than a ballpark issue.  He came over averaging 2.0 BB per 9 for his career.  This year he’s averaging 6.2 BB per 9.   He’s in a funk and really doesn’t have command of any pitches.  Hopefully he can figure it out and come back to help the club.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

That may be correct, but this is more than a ballpark issue.  He came over averaging 2.0 BB per 9 for his career.  This year he’s averaging 6.2 BB per 9.   He’s in a funk and really doesn’t have command of any pitches.  Hopefully he can figure it out and come back to help the club.

Right. The issue he is having isn’t someone anyone would have seen coming.  

This was definitely not the concern.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

My contention is the stuff may have played ok out in the cavernous Oakland Coliseum in the AL West. But here in the AL East. I just don’t see him being successful as is.

The stats back you up on this opinion Irvin's career ERA is 4.51, but his ERA at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum is 3.44. It's more to it, but Irvin is definitely missing the spacious dimensions of the Coliseum.

I know Sig's analytics team does good work, but do they do some of the basics in their analysis like looking at career splits of players. 🙃

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Irvin will be back and hopefully back better. This made sense as he clearly looked the worst of all the SPs so far and had just pitched. 

What I don't get is why Cano is one of the folks coming up. Hopefully he makes them look smart. 

It always helps to be on the 40 man and fresh.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The stats back you up on this opinion Irvin's career ERA is 4.51, but his ERA at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum is 3.44. It's more to it, but Irvin is definitely missing the spacious dimensions of the Coliseum.

I know Sig's analytics team does good work, but do they do some of the basics in their analysis like looking at career splits of players. 🙃

Yes but if he was pitching to that 4.51 ERA he wouldn't be headed for AAA. 

Just now, Spy Fox said:

Yes but if he was pitching to that 4.51 ERA he wouldn't be headed for AAA. 

True, but Irvin's road ERA for his career is 5.40 and if he was pitching to that he would still be on the team as well. My main point is any expectations of Irvin putting up a 4.51 ERA for the O's this season is unlikely.

Elias was hoping for him to be a passable back end rotation pitcher who could eat inning pitching every fifth day.

1 hour ago, jdwilde1 said:

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Right. The issue he is having isn’t someone anyone would have seen coming.  

This was definitely not the concern.

Yea, during Spring Training this year he only walked one guy in 14.1 innings. There is no reason that current performance level would be expected. 

With two off days this coming week, I'm guessing they skip him maybe once or twice while he's down (depending on how long he's there) and give him a chance to get right.

Really happy with this development.  I assumed that because Elias had made this trade he might have a bit of ego and been boneheaded about sending him down.  But, as bad as the starters beside Gibson have been, he has been the worst.  Send him down and let him figure it out. 

• Upvote 2